Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rewardeal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2023
I was on highsierra and used dosdude to upgrade to catalina 10.15.7 while still using the ati 5770.
Everything is fine and Catalina works.
Went to swap the GPU to rx5700xt and nothing is showing up on my computer screen, it's just black.

Boot ROM Version: MP51.0089.B00
Is this the reason?

Do I need to install opencore?
Do I need to download the driver and it'll work?
Help plz.

One of my memory sticks crapped out so that's why its at 56gb. Noticed this as I'm typing this post.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-15 at 3.12.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-15 at 3.12.01 PM.png
    64 KB · Views: 124

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
First thing, you should upgrade your Mac Pro firmware to 144.0.0.0.0, MP51.0089.B00 do not have the correct microcodes or the APFS EFI module for supporting APFS disks post High Sierra. Unfortunately you can't upgrade the Mac Pro firmware with a RX 5700XT, while the RX 5700XT is a METAL GPU, the METAL GPU needs to have High Sierra drivers for the BootROM upgrade to proceed. If you can't borrow a High Sierra METAL supported GPU, the only workaround is a BootROM reconstruction service.

Second thing, there are no GPU drivers to download anymore. Since Mojave, Apple provide all GPU drivers with macOS already. If a GPU is only supported after a specific macOS release, like RX 5700XT being supported only after 10.15.1, you can only run after that.

Third thing, the patches necessary to make a non-METAL GPU (the ATI HD 5770) to work with Mojave and newer macOS releases make METAL cards to not work anymore, you have to revert the patches or re-instal when you move from a non-METAL to a METAL supported GPU.

If you are sure that the RX 5700XT is a working card, get a spare disk and do a clean install of Big Sur/Monterey via OCLP just for a quick test, but you should upgrade the BootROM first.

DarkPremiumCho

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2023
Try different ports in your 5700XT. If that doesn't work, you will likely need OpenCore. Specifically, Lilu, Whatevergreen and the agdpmod=pikera boot flag.

rewardeal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2023
First thing, you should upgrade your Mac Pro firmware to 144.0.0.0.0, MP51.0089.B00 do not have the correct microcodes or the APFS EFI module for supporting APFS disks post High Sierra. Unfortunately you can't upgrade the Mac Pro firmware with a RX 5700XT, while the RX 5700XT is a METAL GPU, the METAL GPU needs to have High Sierra drivers for the BootROM upgrade to proceed. If you can't borrow a High Sierra METAL supported GPU, the only workaround is a BootROM reconstruction service.

Second thing, there are no GPU drivers to download anymore. Since Mojave, Apple provide all GPU drivers with macOS already. If a GPU is only supported after a specific macOS release, like RX 5700XT being supported only after 10.15.1, you can only run after that.

Third thing, the patches necessary to make a non-METAL GPU (the ATI HD 5770) to work with Mojave and newer macOS releases make METAL cards to not work anymore, you have to revert the patches or re-instal when you move from a non-METAL to a METAL supported GPU.

If you are sure that the RX 5700XT is a working card, get a spare disk and do a clean install of Big Sur/Monterey via OCLP just for a quick test, but you should upgrade the BootROM first.
I don't have access to a metal supported gpu. I read in your other post there's no way to upgrade bootrom without metal gpu but here you're saying there is a workaround with a reconstruction service? If You're anywhere in southern california would love to pay you to help me do this.

Or if anyone reading this is in Los angeles/ orange county area would love to pay for the assistance.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I don't have access to a metal supported gpu. I read in your other post there's no way to upgrade bootrom without metal gpu but here you're saying there is a workaround with a reconstruction service? If You're anywhere in southern california would love to pay you to help me do this.

Or if anyone reading this is in Los angeles/ orange county area would love to pay for the assistance.

I can clean-up and fully upgrade your BootROM if you save a BootROM image dump, I'll send you a PM about the reconstruction service.

mirphyslaw

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2023
I can clean-up and fully upgrade your BootROM if you save a BootROM image dump, I'll send you a PM about the reconstruction service.
Can you send me a PM as well. I have two cMP 4,1's cross flashed to 5,1 and am just learning about this bootrom firmware issue. I'd like to have them cleaned up. I understand there is a small fee, but I'd rather have a fresh rom now instead of dealing with the horror stories I've read about.

Reactions: tsialex

davidodwell

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2023
DosDude in his instructional video says Radeon 5xxx GPUs are not compatible with his patcher.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.