Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gpoop

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2017
Ok, so I tried to update itunes last night and it failed twice so I didn't bother with it. So today I didn't try to update itunes but before I turned on my iphone X I did a backup on my 7, turned on the X, activated it, restored from last backup, watched it go threw all my songs one by one now seems to be stuck in step 4 saying "waiting for items to copy". It's been like this for over an hour now. 1309 songs.

Could it be that it's just not done or it's a glitch and I should hit done?

OR could it be stuck cause I didn't update iTunes?

Btw, just checked my phone and a lot of songs are grey'ed out. Is it possible they just cannot be found?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
I'd leave it, i had experiences where iTunes was stuck on various steps for a long time and eventually completed. If it fails, just restore and try again :)

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
Yup to what?

are you sure its not just restoring all your iOS Apps from the backup? the iPhone will need to re download all these Apps from the App store on the iPhone, My iPhone X is installing the apps from my backup as we speak and its been doing it for close to an hour now, i have a rather big amount of apps so it all needs to be re downloaded to the iPhone X and it can take time.

gpoop

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2017
are you sure its not just restoring all your iOS Apps from the backup? the iPhone will need to re download all these Apps from the App store on the iPhone, My iPhone X is installing the apps from my backup as we speak and its been doing it for close to an hour now, i have a rather big amount of apps so it all needs to be re downloaded to the iPhone X and it can take time.

All apps are on there as well as all my photos. Alot of songs are gray'ed out. I do have the songs not only on the computer itself but also have two external hard drives that are plugged in. Could it be possible I have songs in too many places and it simply cannot locate them?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Not on iTunes 12.7 or the "special" 12.6 version (12.6.3? Can't recall exact version)? If so, can see possible snags as 12.7 is the official supported version for 8/X and iOS 11. Syncs might work with older versions, but...

I'd get iTunes upgraded and then try to do your music sync again. Should not have an issue unplugging the phone and trying again, since only stuck on music sync (ie. Nothing vital; have done same in past when seemingly stuck).

gpoop

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2017
Not on iTunes 12.7 or the "special" 12.6 version (12.6.3? Can't recall exact version)? If so, can see possible snags as 12.7 is the official supported version for 8/X and iOS 11. Syncs might work with older versions, but...

I'd get iTunes upgraded and then try to do your music sync again. Should not have an issue unplugging the phone and trying again, since only stuck on music sync (ie. Nothing vital; have done same in past when seemingly stuck).

canceled sync and now stuck in canceling sync lol

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Will probably need to kill iTunes as it tends to pretty much lock up when it gets like this. Worst case, might also need to reboot.

gpoop

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2017
Pulled the plug on it. Closed itunes, opened Itunes, re sync'd and it worked! All my songs are on it! Thanks so much for the help.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.