Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnAppDeveloper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2023

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
I don’t think anyone here can tell you, unfortunately. I use a different raw processor than Apple’s these days but when I did, they could be infuriatingly slow or they never bothered. Given the age of your camera, sadly, I’m thinking the latter. The RAW Power app (written by a former Aperture developer) provides raw support for your camera and integrates with Photos. I can recommend it for Photos-based workflows. https://www.gentlemencoders.com/extended-raw/

Reactions: katbel

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
I don’t think anyone here can tell you, unfortunately. I use a different raw processor than Apple’s these days but when I did, they could be infuriatingly slow or they never bothered. Given the age of your camera, sadly, I’m thinking the latter. The RAW Power app (written by a former Aperture developer) provides raw support for your camera and integrates with Photos. I can recommend it for Photos-based workflows. https://www.gentlemencoders.com/extended-raw/
Forgive me as I have not really used Raw Power for a while (another old-time Aperture user). But wouldn't it get the RAW codecs from macOS (where I used it) or iOS like other apps do?

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
Forgive me as I have not really used Raw Power for a while (another old-time Aperture user). But wouldn't it get the RAW codecs from macOS (where I used it) or iOS like other apps do?
Yes, but the developer also has what he calls “extended raw” described in the link above. It comes with certain limitations like no automatic lens correction, but provides support for some cameras not yet natively supported by Apple.

Reactions: swandy

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Yes, but the developer also has what he calls “extended raw” described in the link above. It comes with certain limitations like no automatic lens correction, but provides support for some cameras not yet natively supported by Apple.
I would add how terrible is Photos in Ventura with RAW photos. Till now if you touch your RAW photo with any of the tools provided by Apple, the photo becomes blurred to say the least. I use RAW Power app extension or other extensions working in Photos (Affinity or Pixelmator Pro)
If I need to crop it or adjust the exposure I go straight there.
Has anyone tried Photos in Sonoma if the RAW problems have been fixed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.