Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gintoki-kun

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
If you are booted to a Mavericks system (and the installer that is offered shows that), then the utilities mayhave limited compatibility. APFS is a much later addition, and is not recogized by Mac systems older than Sierra. Even Sierra will show an APFS, but won't let you actually do anything with an APFS volume. Olders systems may show an unidentified volume, or may not show anything at all on an internal boot drive that is formatted APFS.
Try this.... Remove the external drive, so there is no drive except for the internal drive.
Press and hold Shift-Option-Command, then press and release the power button. (That's an SMC reset)
Release all keys, then press and release the power button, and immediately press and hold Option-Command-P-R.You should hear a boot chime sound. (and that's an NVRAM reset, also called PRAM reset on older Macs) Keep holding the same 4 keys until you hear the boot chime 2 more times, then release all keys - except continue to hold Option.
You should get the boot-picker screen - and you SHOULD then see your normal boot drive.
If you do see your boot drive, you may be OK from here, just choose your boot drive, then press enter.
(The two resets might work, because your battery had died completely, and one other result might have corrupted some part of your firmware. The resets can possibly fix that -- you won't know if it helps until you try it :cool:
SMC and NVRAM reset done and unfortunately nothing done :/

Thank you anyways

Gintoki-kun

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
Remember that the Disk Utility is a graphic interface for some of the same commands that you would use in the terminal (the disk utility has to get the info from somewhere). Of course, the terminal gives you more control over those commands. If the system (Mavericks) can't interpret the data (because the format is too new), then you won't get much in Disk Utility, OR in the terminal.

You should boot to a newer system. If you were using Big Sur, then download a Big Sur installer, and make an external bootable drive with that. Boot to that bootable installer. Disk Utility for the Big Sur installer should help you decide if the internal drive is bad/gone, or you will be able to see it. You will then be able to simply reinstall the system, if you need to do that. Or, you will also be able to make sure that the drive is visible while in Big Sur, and you can make sure that it appears in the Startup Disk settings...
I see. I have a windows machine and I will try that. And give you feedback. Really hope that’s it

macsforme

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2007
In my experience, an OS which doesn’t support APFS should still be able to parse the partition table and show the disk itself with any unrecognized volume(s). The output of “diskutil list” posted by the OP does not appear to show the disk at all (I believe the <2GB disk shown is simply the recovery ramdisk). Contrary to suggestions in earlier posts, I believe your computer is not recognizing your SSD whatsoever. As others have mentioned, booting from an external device or replacing your SSD may be good options.

clevins

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2014
Aside from all the above, click on the Disk0 entry and go to Partition. What do you see?

Gintoki-kun

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
Aside from all the above, click on the Disk0 entry and go to Partition. What do you see?
Just the OS X Base System. No other partitions

Attachments

• 23308E2E-ECD2-43EF-B6FE-D17497D0F7C0.jpeg
    23308E2E-ECD2-43EF-B6FE-D17497D0F7C0.jpeg
    357.2 KB · Views: 79

Gintoki-kun

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
Lasted nearly a decade, though. Not bad.
True. To that I’m happy. It was just bad timing. In 3-6 weeks time it’d actually be a better time. Not to mention as well, supposedly, new 14” are coming out, so the M1Pros would be cheaper.

Most likely I’ll have to go for the M2Air. Hope it’s enough for Xcode.

Thanks for trying to help

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
Grab a cheap sintech adaptor and a cheap nvme ssd to get the sucker running again. That’s assuming you’ve ever installed high Sierra on it. If not, you’ll have to get an apple ssd.

Gintoki-kun

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
Grab a cheap sintech adaptor and a cheap nvme ssd to get the sucker running again. That’s assuming you’ve ever installed high Sierra on it. If not, you’ll have to get an apple ssd.
So you mean replacing the MacBook’s SSD?

Wouldn’t it be easier to buy an OCW’s SSD?

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
Yeah and they don’t really offer anything that an adaptor and a cheap ssd don’t do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.