Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fiatlux

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
My son was working on a doc on my old MP6,1 when it crashed with a purple screen. Trying to reboot it, it hangs with the progress bar one third of the way through. Display is also partly corrupted.

I tried entering the recovery mode or resetting the NVRAM but I always end up with the same behaviour (hanging on boot screen).

Did it just turn into a pretty paperweight?

D75E9D14-FD9A-4A66-BD8F-D132BD9BA1A0.jpeg

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Looks like a graphics card error to me.. Have you tried resetting SMC and all that good stuff?

fiatlux

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Yep, no result at all. Even the diagnostic (D at startup) did not work. Luckily the target mode would work, I managed to salvage my son’s doc which he needed to submit to university tonight.

richmlow

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
My son was working on a doc on my old MP6,1 when it crashed with a purple screen. Trying to reboot it, it hangs with the progress bar one third of the way through. Display is also partly corrupted.

I tried entering the recovery mode or resetting the NVRAM but I always end up with the same behaviour (hanging on boot screen).

Did it just turn into a pretty paperweight?

View attachment 2116878

As someone else mentioned....it looks like graphics card problem. If so, it might be prohibitively too expensive to replace it.

Maybe, it's time for a new Mac!?

Good luck with the entire situation.

richmlow

krakman

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
you can try taking the cover off and giving it a good clean, they can trap a lot of dust inside. I had a problem with a stick of RAM not working in a Mac Pro 5.1 and it turned out a bit of dust was shorting out the pins.

As Macguru said, spare parts for the 6.1 are very expensive and troubleshooting is not that easy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.