Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

levmc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
From this thread I read that Yosemite and High Sierra was crappy: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/why-is-high-sierra-so-horrible.2116377/

"Well, Yosemite was a crappy OS too. I witnessed it destroy the performance of my macbook and my roommates too. From the fluid Mavericks to sluggish Yosemite it was a serious difference.
The yearly release is not working and I'm also starting to second guess their testing team. I also don't understand how 30 seconds boot got passed as fine.

High Sierra can't even be handled by iMac Pro. I recorded a video in a store when maximising a window to show how it stutters. Posted it on reddit apple and here. You know what I got on reddit? Denial and even post removed, also "people are downvoting you because of your attitude". It's unbelievable, people are just refusing to believe High Sierra is crap in general because they paid a lot of money for their computer."

From my experience with High Sierra on my iMac (27, 2017) it really was crappy mainly because of the constant disconnecting of the bluetooth keyboard and mouse. When I moved up to Mojave, the bluetooth problem stopped, but another problem of taking too long to wake up the computer started, but it eventually went away (Possibly from me tinkering with something in System Preferences, but I was never sure why the problem went away.

So if I upgrade my Mavericks 2014 MBP to Sierra (not wanting to risk the slow wakeup problem by going to Mojave), would Sierra have bluetooth connectivity problem like I experienced in High Sierra?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I didn't really have a problem with performance on Bluetooth, with AirPods or other stuff, more compatibility:

no bluetooth mice (tried a Logitech and MS one both popular models) worked. Only magic mouse

it seems pretty widely documented that it has crap compatibility.

Mojave fixed it. Not sure about HS.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Yes. Bluetooth drop outs with the Apple mouse are common on my aging 27” iMac running Sierra (Even more frequently when I have an iPad with an Apple Pencil connected nearby).

TBH, I have had Bluetooth issues with this iMac no matter what OS it runs.

levmc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
Thanks. Do you also have a MBP? I wonder if it's just an iMac thing.
Have you run Mavericks before on your iMac?

You could try upgrading to Mojave and see if it helps, because once I upped it to Mojave the problem stopped.
[automerge]1589864619[/automerge]
I didn't really have a problem with performance on Bluetooth, with AirPods or other stuff, more compatibility:

no bluetooth mice (tried a Logitech and MS one both popular models) worked. Only magic mouse

it seems pretty widely documented that it has crap compatibility.

Mojave fixed it. Not sure about HS.
Thanks. Were you using iMac or MBP?

levmc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
Still wondering whether it's just a iMac problem or MBP as well.

Orka

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2012
Moscow, Russia
Today I bought Microsoft bluetooth mobile mouse 3600 which strangely doesn't work on my MacBook air with sierra, it pairs with it, but it can't control it. But it works on daughter's MacBook with el capitan just fine, so i should return it? I didn't know this is Sierra's issue.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Today I bought Microsoft bluetooth mobile mouse 3600 which strangely doesn't work on my MacBook air with sierra, it pairs with it, but it can't control it. But it works on daughter's MacBook with el capitan just fine, so i should return it? I didn't know this is Sierra's issue.

same with Logitech mice. Pretty much Magic Mouse or bust on Sierra. Been ther e

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.