Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
His Steveness said:
"If I were running Apple, I would milk the Macintosh for all it's worth -- and get busy on the next great thing. The PC wars are over. Done. Microsoft won a long time ago."

Maybe this is why Apple Computers is now Apple? :eek:

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Yes

"If I were running Apple, I would milk the Macintosh for all it's worth -- and get busy on the next great thing. The PC wars are over. Done. Microsoft won a long time ago."
-- Fortune, Feb. 19, 1996

Reactions: Queen6

Butters

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2006
UK
Maybe this is why Apple Computers is now Apple? :eek:

As far as I know (which isn't very) he hasn't said that. it doesn't sound like him, but you never know.

and although it would kind of make sense of recent activities I don't think they're ever going to stop making macs or anything that drastic.. they just won't be the focus anymore (but then again that's already happening with the iPod and iPhone)

edit: apparently yes he did.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
Hmm.. just makes me wonder if Apple still cares about OS X and the Mac or if they are just milking it for what's left while making butt loads of cash from iPods and iPhones.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
If they do away with the computers, then I don't care about the iPod or iPhone. I need a computer to sync this stuff with. What will they become.....a gadgets and computer software company?

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Hmm.. just makes me wonder if Apple still cares about OS X and the Mac or if they are just milking it for what's left while making butt loads of cash from iPods and iPhones.

Maybe, but I doubt it. I think they just didn't put all their eggs in one basket.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
The next big thing was OSX. The Intel-based UNIX machines we use now may be marketed as Macs, but they are a completely different beast from the Macs of 1996.

The PC wars were over, so Steve started gunning for home users with the digital hub, a process that's still ongoing.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I was wondering where the daily inflammatory thread by iW00t was?

I don't know whether just me being cynical but I see this as just a thinly disguised attempt at trolling again:rolleyes:

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Things change. There's not much more to it than that. Back then when he said that Apple were going through a rough patch, which really just isn't the case any more.

And Apple of course still care about Mac. I think with all the media hype that surrounds the iPods etc it just seems the the Mac has been somewhat forgotten, but if you think about it the last year saw great advances and we'll probably see a lot more this year too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.