Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
I just received my Air from Best Buy. I went to update it to 7.0.6 and it booted and it's been stuck on the Apple logo for 10 minutes. :mad:

This link explains the problem some have been having. Any ideas to fix this? It's brand new out of the box from BB.

http://www.techienews.co.uk/976861/apple-ios-7-0-6-update-allegedly-bricks-iphone-5s-ipad-air/

I had same problem with my retina iPad mini... I just reseted the iPad mini ((ppress both home button and power/seep at same time for a period of time)...then it went fine

Rodster

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2007
I had same problem with my retina iPad mini... I just reseted the iPad mini ((ppress both home button and power/seep at same time for a period of time)...then it went fine

That's exactly what I did. I was going to update my post.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Short of a sudden hardware failure it is impossible to "brick" a modern day iDevice.
It has been widely represented that bricking is an outdated possibility.

So, why do people still persist in asking if they bricked this or that device.

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here
Short of a sudden hardware failure it is impossible to "brick" a modern day iDevice.

You need to post that in the jailbreak section. Bricking is more common than you think. Happened to me early on in my jb days and still happens to people to this day.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US

I don't have a opinion on this either way but I see it discussed. For some folks the term has expanded to include non-functional but repairable devices (especially when the owner isn't able to repair it themselves). Purists don't agree. :)

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
You need to post that in the jailbreak section. Bricking is more common than you think. Happened to me early on in my jb days and still happens to people to this day.

Yes, you could brick a 3G and 3GS (this one by flashing newer Toshiba chip).
Modern day devices get bricked due to owner inexperience, corrupted downloads or hardware failure.
Owner mistakes and corrupted downloads can be overcome.

Just as in this case, a hard reboot/use of DFU allows most issues to be fixed.

Last edited:

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here
Yes, you could brick a 3G and 3GS (this one by flashing newer Toshiba chip).
Modern day devices get bricked due to owner inexperience, corrupted downloads or hardware failure.
Owner mistakes and corrupted downloads can be overcome.

Just as in this case, a hard reboot/use of DFU allows most issues to be fixed.

This is wrong but not worth going back and forth. If you want to be more versed though, I would suggest reading a few jb forums. Good luck.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009

Errrrr, no. It is literally impossible to brick an iDevice.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
I know, it just struck me as amusing that he referred me to jailbreak sites.

That is funny though. But you're calling bricking what exactly? For every device it's always meant messing up past repair pretty much I thought.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
That is funny though. But you're calling bricking what exactly? For every device it's always meant messing up past repair pretty much I thought.

Yes, that is the idea. It's when you mod/corrupt the firmware to the point the phone can not be placed into a state to be restored. This was very possible with the original 2G iPhones, but since the 3G/3GS and newer, because Apple has changed the way the firmware works, it is possible to get the phone into a state where the firmware can be restored. And a hardware failure can keep the phone from being able to be restored.

The term was valid 6-7 years ago, not so much any longer. Of the thousands of claims of "I bricked my phone" I have assisted with, about a third are recovered with a simple hard reboot, the rest require a restore. And if there is no hardware issue, one can always get the phone into DFU mode (or pwned DFU mode) and restore it.

Believe me you can fix them when they are really jammed up and the firmware is so corrupted they cannot boot.

http://telly.com/1I02CS6

Last edited:

Rodster

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Thanks guys for all the input. I never implied that iOS 7.0.6 bricked my Air but it was more of a question as i've never seen that before while doing an update and then I came across the article. So it was more a question. :)

Thanks for the clarification and I don't JB either so i'm not up on all the FW stuff and how it all works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.