Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bige12

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
Vienna, VA
Who go charged a activation fee by doing one of these

1. Order the phone through Apple and selecting *connect to any carrier later* Yes or No

2. ordered through Apple and selected *verzion as carrier* - Yes or No

3. Order through the version website - Did they charge a activation fee- Yes or No

4. went into a version store did they charge a activation fee - Yes or No

5 went to Best buy- and selected version as carrier did they charge a activation fee - Yes or No

bige12

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
Vienna, VA
Ordered two 14PMs direct from Apple, as replacements to existing iPhones on my Verizon account. After activation, I see that I was charged by Verizon $35 each, highway robbery! (but expected)
Did you select verizon as the carrier?

I was just wondering since I have a while back i came from a locked iPhone 8 Plus with AT&T and then went to a unlocked 11 Pro max and I just swamped sim cards and I was not charged a Activation fee for doing that. that was back to the old physical sim card days

Reactions: Ram65

Cmd-Z

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2014
Coyote, CA
Yes, replacing an existing line keeps you with the same carrier, unless you specifically opt not to.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Since im on Apple iup program with verizon. It is to be expected for the activation fee. Oh 🐳.

The unconnected, connect later does not charge activation fee.

bige12

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
Vienna, VA
Since im on Apple iup program with verizon. It is to be expected for the activation fee. Oh 🐳.

The unconnected, connect later does not charge activation fee.
So you say if you choose connect to any carrier later then there is no activation fee Correct.

I just want to make sure I told my brother in-law the correct thing if he and my sister don't want to be charged a activation fee- since its time for them get new phones

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
I bought from Apple and selected connect to any carrier later. I moved from a physical SIM in my 13 PM to an eSIM in the 14 Pro by transferring it. I received an email from Verizon with an account change notification that said thank you for upgrading your device.

My bill hasn’t generated yet but they better not charge me an activation fee.

Reactions: uller6 and Ram65

bige12

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
Vienna, VA
I bought from Apple and selected connect to any carrier later. I moved from a physical SIM in my 13 PM to an eSIM in the 14 Pro by transferring it. I received an email from Verizon with an account change notification that said thank you for upgrading your device.

To me I think you should not be charge on - since you selected connect later then that is just like swamping physical sim cards

Reactions: timeconsumer

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
So you say if you choose connect to any carrier later then there is no activation fee Correct.

I just want to make sure I told my brother in-law the correct thing if he and my sister don't want to be charged a activation fee- since its time for them get new phones
Yes, if they go with this option paying full price and not select any carrier at all. When you go activate it with esim, there should not be any activation fee of some sort. I've purchased sim-free model (same as cnnect to any carrier later) for the 13 pro max and transferred psim to esim when 13 pro max came out and there waws no activation fee on my account.

Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 18.33.31.png

Ram65

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014

Yeah Verizon need that $35 so you might have to call CS to get it waive

Reactions: timeconsumer

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
If you have US only esim option 14, then you will have to contact Verizon and you will get charged $35 activation fee.

If you have the SIM card tray version, you can just put in old SIM card and you won’t be charged fee.

bige12

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
Vienna, VA
If you have US only esim option 14, then you will have to contact Verizon and you will get charged $35 activation fee.

If you have the SIM card tray version, you can just put in old SIM card and you won’t be charged fee.
no you do not need to contact Verizon

bige12

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
Vienna, VA
My brother- inlaw and sister have the iPhone 11 with physical sim and I saw that youtube video saying you do not need to contact Verizon

Last edited:

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
no you do not need to contact Verizon
You’d still have to pay the $35 to activate esim. That’s what a rep told me when I called.

But they don’t always know everything so 🤷‍♂️ but I seriously doubt that Verizon won’t charge $35 for any activation.

Physical sim swap works cause it’s the same chip, and the carrier really doesn’t do anything.

bige12

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
Vienna, VA
Just so confusing / I say they should not charge younactivetion fee if you purchase it outright and select to any carrier later since that option is just like a swamping a physica sim

I can understand if you go to a store to help you active you phone then they should charge a activation fee, because if you go to a Verizon store since you are not doing the activation yourself so that why they should charge you a activation fee.

like if you purchase from Apple and choose connect to any carrier later then you Should not be charge since you are doing all the work not Verizon

I think back then when the activation fee was for the physical SIM card Since I think it was like the physical SIM card cost was only for the card $10 and $20 for the activation. And that why back then you would just swamp since and the reason you would not get charged was since the SIM card you were using was already added

but I know things can be different now since in the US is on the esim era now

Last edited:
Reactions: 3Rock

Apleeseed84

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2020
Well I mean, cellphone carriers don’t make money off financing cellphone contracts anymore so they will get you with activation fees anyway they can, anytime you upgrade a new line you will get slapped with an activation fee even if you own the device, they call it paying to use and setup your phone on their network 🤣. All carriers are the same.

Another scumbag move is those 3 year contracts for the sake of being” cheaper” when they just lock in you in longer knowing all providers are literally the same now, e-sim just narrowed the gap really.

Reactions: compwiz1202

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
If you transfer service back to a previously activated device does anyone know if Verizon charges an activation fee? For example, transferring service back from an iPhone 14 to an iPhone 12.

Once any device is activated the first time, I'm hoping there are no more fees if you jump back and forth.

clarencek

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
eSim to eSim transfer with a Verizon iPhone from Apple. No activation fee at this time. Just checked my billing and so far so good.

Same. Converted to esim on my 13 PM three days before getting the 14.
No charge for conversion and no charge to transfer. I’m on Verizon.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
If you transfer service back to a previously activated device does anyone know if Verizon charges an activation fee? For example, transferring service back from an iPhone 14 to an iPhone 12.

Once any device is activated the first time, I'm hoping there are no more fees if you jump back and forth.
I think it's usually just the first time. When you transfer to another device, as long as they already have it their system, they should not charge you.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Well I mean, cellphone carriers don’t make money off financing cellphone contracts anymore so they will get you with activation fees anyway they can, anytime you upgrade a new line you will get slapped with an activation fee even if you own the device, they call it paying to use and setup your phone on their network 🤣. All carriers are the same.

Another scumbag move is those 3 year contracts for the sake of being” cheaper” when they just lock in you in longer knowing all providers are literally the same now, e-sim just narrowed the gap really.
Agree they should just have choices of 24 or 36 months. But they purposely pick a longer term because if people trade early with installment promos, they lose more of it.

• Love
Reactions: Apleeseed84
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.