Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

If you bought 3rd gen AirPods, did you return them because they were too loose?

• Total voters

evbtfre56

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2020
After 6 weeks of use, my only complaint about 3rd gen airpods is they often become loose and fall out.

This problem is annoying, but also a liability: if airpods fall in a drain or elevator shaft etc, apple care does not cover this under accidental damage. So, it seems like only a matter of time before I lose an AirPod - which would be over 200$ “down the drain”!

In spite of a loose fit, I really like the sound and battery quality of the new AirPods, so I decided to keep them.

I’ve tried a few things to help resolve the issue. They’re listed below, in case this is helpful for anyone else.

First, I read the 3rd gen airpods manual, which state “Gently press AirPods in your ears and rotate toward your face. Your AirPods should feel tight and secure.” This step has helped a lot, and I suggest others having this issue try rotating stems forward to see if that helps. However, I find i am doing this often; the AirPods still become loose over time.

I’ve also cleaned the airpods a few times, thinking perhaps skin oil may build up on the water resistant coating, reducing friction causing them to slip out of place.

I’ve also tried 3rd party silicon covers found on Amazon, which did not resolve the issue but did help a but. They also had a nice feel, but kept slipping out of place so i’ve taken them off.

Unfortunately the battle continues. I’m reading a lot of comments in related forum posts that others have returned their airpods.

If you bought a pair, did you return them for being too loose, keep them despite this issue, or have not experienced this issue?

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
I returned them. I gave it a few days to get used to the new form, and it just didn’t work for me. The sound was much improved over the 1st and 2nd gen. I bought the Beats Fit Pro instead and there is a huge difference in fit; sound is awesome, phone calls are clear and no one complains about not hearing me. I’m really please with the Beats
Fit Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.