Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ralphy323

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2013
Recently bought two iPads one for my wife and one for means thought of getting beats headphones off eBay (bad idea) I got them and I could tell right away that one of them was a fake (solo HD bubblegum) but I though my wireless were real but after further Investigation I found out that they are not... Got really upset and started the refund process and went to RadioShack and bought the wireless for me and the solo hd for my wife but this is where it gets interesting... The beats wireless are almost identical to the genuine item and I want to share so you guys can tell the difference right away. Pictures coming up in a bit.

The genuine box is the one on the left and as you can see is larger and print is legible

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 39,925
Last edited:

Ralphy323

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2013
But not the wireless. They distort and the Bluetooth connectivity cuts out really bad

Ralphy323

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2013
I uploaded them to my photobucket for easier access

image.jpg

Box is smaller than oem and letters not clearly legible.

image-1.jpg

They have the layout of the new wireless not branded by monster but still have monster all over the place plus the trademark symbols are blurry.

image-2.jpg

image-3.jpg

image-4.jpg

Box on the left is oem.

Packaging

image-5.jpg

image-6.jpg

The on on bottom is the oem.

Pamphlets.
image-7.jpg

Sealed in matte bag with serial and black cloth

Vs fake.

image-8.jpg

Carrying case in original is larger and has raced zipper.

image-9.jpg

Headphones.

image-10.jpg

image-11.jpg

image-12.jpg

In oem ear cups are smaller, mic is not flush... It has some recess and the cable connector in the fake one the red plastic has gaps between both covers.

Headband and cushion.

image-13.jpg

image-14.jpg

image-15.jpg

Cushion looks like it wAs forced in and it's a different shade of gray. Letters on the headband are larger and color is only a bit off.

Branding inside headband.
image-15.jpg

Fake has monster where the screws go but no M on the headband plus all lettering inside is a bit larger and little faded compared to the original one.

image-17.jpg

Here you can see that the fake ones say beats and have sticker for serial as the real ones haven't sticker and serial is on box.

Sound distorts at high levels, Bluetooth cuts in and out after 5minutes of use, you can hear clicks and bumps of headset turning on and going to batt save mode and people can't understand you when you are in a call.

That's pretty much it if im missing something pls let me know.

Jackie2013

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2013
Hello,
I bought a wireless beats days ago. It looks like yours-"OEM" one. But do you think it is not authentic because there is no word "beats" on the top of word "wireless" on the surface side. what's your opinion?
overear-wireless-black-standard-side.png

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Beats in general have bad sound quality and the durability don't even get me started on the subject. So glad monster no longer makes the beats. When you have so many options on what headphones to chose why buy the beats just saying. If I wanted muddled and distorted sound tons of crappy base and no highs I would buy them. But I don't I want a clean smooth sound with nice highs and lows. Just my thoughts on the beats.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
the difference is beats are considered a joke to the audiophile community. little research and u can find better headphones for 1/2 the price or lower. fashion accessory at best in my eyes.

A fool and their money are soon parted they say. I'm 41 but am in college right now finishing up a masters and see all the "kids" running around with beats and simply shake my head. I'm no audiophile by any means but my ears and pocketbook know when I'm being duped. Now Bose is where it's at! :rolleyes:

Picked up a pair of fakes from aliexpress and compared them to the real deal....(same pink ones you picked up OP) and thought one was as good as the other and mine ran $45 instead of $250. If my 8 year old breaks them big deal, I'll buy another 4 sets before I reach that silly $250 price tag.

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
the difference is beats are considered a joke to the audiophile community. little research and u can find better headphones for 1/2 the price or lower. fashion accessory at best in my eyes.

actually i am very much a member of the audiophile community and a respectful member of headfi.org, with an extensive collection of sennheisers, akgs, bose, and many other to name a few.

With that being said, Beats are overpriced yes, but don't take that away from it's role in the community of headphones. They are equalized their own unique way and offer a pleasurable listening experience that a lot of musicians/mastering people still reach for, when polishing off certain songs/sounds.

Don't give into the hivemind of the "Im in teh audiophile community HERR DURR BEATS are horrible" mindset just because everyone is on a bandwagon to bash these. If you think they are overpriced, so be it. I think Name brand cereal is overpriced too, but Im not knockin down the next guy reaching for a box of frosted flakes either.

georgeatk

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2013
hello

i have one problem please help me i just buy today beats wireless but i dont have jack , i buy only headphones and usb charger

Attachments

• 03cc7b860b706f67cebfc46ab069490d-7410414-1000_1000.jpg
    03cc7b860b706f67cebfc46ab069490d-7410414-1000_1000.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 874
  • 6ab93db1f1130f85814ac6d8350e509b-7410414-1000_1000.jpg
    6ab93db1f1130f85814ac6d8350e509b-7410414-1000_1000.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 841

DatRippelEffect

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2012
Bronx, New York
actually i am very much a member of the audiophile community and a respectful member of headfi.org, with an extensive collection of sennheisers, akgs, bose, and many other to name a few.

With that being said, Beats are overpriced yes, but don't take that away from it's role in the community of headphones. They are equalized their own unique way and offer a pleasurable listening experience that a lot of musicians/mastering people still reach for, when polishing off certain songs/sounds.

Don't give into the hivemind of the "Im in teh audiophile community HERR DURR BEATS are horrible" mindset just because everyone is on a bandwagon to bash these. If you think they are overpriced, so be it. I think Name brand cereal is overpriced too, but Im not knockin down the next guy reaching for a box of frosted flakes either.

I would of thought they were overpriced regardless after i auditioned them. i been lurking head-fi for many years now also sorry i offended you when i mentioned audiophiles. even a beats exec mentioned in July they were looking at redesigns to push the company's sound quality forward.

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
I would of thought they were overpriced regardless after i auditioned them. i been lurking head-fi for many years now also sorry i offended you when i mentioned audiophiles. even a beats exec mentioned in July they were looking at redesigns to push the company's sound quality forward.

i would expect every and any headphone brand to be actively pushing their sound quality "forward".

georgeatk

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2013
ralphy you said here "Here you can see that the fake ones say beats and have sticker for serial as the real ones haven't sticker and serial is on box.

Sound distorts at high levels, Bluetooth cuts in and out after 5minutes of use, you can hear clicks and bumps of headset turning on and going to batt save mode and people can't understand you when you are in a call.

That's pretty much it if im missing something pls let me know."
but i seen the sticker for serial on the official site is there , and they tell me need to have sticker with serial , so i think you buy fake and compare with original

Babyd1967

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2014
Boston
They are not fake its just version 2012 and 2013:)

I know this post is old but wanted to let you know that those on the right certainly are fake. They have the exact same serial number as the fake one I bought. I thought they were real until I went to register the serial number and the message I got back was "Serial number already in use" These fake and I am hoping to get my money back. Good thing Ebay has that MONEY BACK GUARANTEE...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.