Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GC251114

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2015
Good evening.

Just updated to Public Beta 2 & was just wondering the text book answer to the above.

Is grouped alerts basically that. Every time you get an alert/notification from an app they stack all together. So if I receive 6 messages/WhatsApp’s/emails etc , regardless who from they will be stacked until Face ID or stack opened etc.

And if automatic , is it much the same but with messages & WhatsApp’s etc , the stack will only occur when from same person ?

If my theory above is correct am I right in saying for ultimate tidiness on lock screen I’d to have grouped ?

Cheers for help but something so simple is confusing me.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I think this post could do with a bit more clarity.

Are you asking what the difference is beteeen ‘Automatic’ and ‘By App’ in the Notification Grouping setting for each app?

I’m not sure of an option between ‘Grouped’ and ‘Automatic’ which are the terms you used. I don’t want to assume that’s not just something I’ve overlooked though.

GC251114

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2015
I think this post could do with a bit more clarity.

Are you asking what the difference is beteeen ‘Automatic’ and ‘By App’ in the Notification Grouping setting for each app?

I’m not sure of an option between ‘Grouped’ and ‘Automatic’ which are the terms you used. I don’t want to assume that’s not just something I’ve overlooked though.

Sorry yes that’s exactly what I mean.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Sorry yes that’s exactly what I mean.
Automatic is/will be implemented differently by different apps. Apple base Automatic grouping on a ‘thread’ property on notifications which can be set however the app developers want. Notifications are grouped with others from the same app whose ‘threads’ are the same.

It’s not possible to say how it will work for all apps. But yes, one very plausible example would be to group them per person in a messaging app. Behaviour of each app will have to be observed by us users or documented by the app developer. It’s also plausible that some apps will provide in-app options to control how Automatic behaves.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.