Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GC251114

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2015
Good afternoon guys.

I wonder if someone running the new iOS 12 beta 1 could clarify the functionality of DND compared to ios11 version.

I’m currently on iOS 11 & have DND scheduled from 22:15 - 07:30. As expected once 22:15 hits everything is quiet until 07:30 the following morning. I go to bed & switch on my digital clock app & to sleep I go. I get no notification sounds during night (as expected) & when I wake up & unlock my phone I just see the notification number count next to the corresponding app on the homes screen. To me this works perfectly & does as it states on the tin & doesn’t disturb me between my set scheduled time.

Ok so move forward to the new DND with iOS 12. I think the new force touch options are great , however in the settings of DND I see under scheduled there’s a toggle for bedtime. Now if I have the same time scheduled as per my iOS 11 set up , how & what is different if I toggle on bedtime mode ?

Am I right in thinking & saying if bedtime mode is set , the time is displayed on the screen all night with the dark background & no notifications come through (unless ones specified) & then you just see the message count in morning once unlocked. If this being the case does this eliminate the need for a 3rd party time app from the App Store ?

I’ve watched many iOS 12 vids to familiarise myself etc , ready to jump on board with Public beta 3 or 4 dependant on how stable , but I’m just confused as to how the bedtime mode is different to the scheduled mode I’m currently using with iOS 11.

Cheers for clarification.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
DND has a toggle for:

DND
Scheduled
Bedtime

DND is just like it always has been
Scheduled is just like it always has been
Bedtime makes it so notifications do not show on the lock screen until you unlock your phone in the AM

Does that makes sense? Basically you can do it the old way or the new way. If you do it the old way there is now a DND notification that sits on the lock screen, so in the AM when you wake up you can just push that. If you do not turn off DND it will stay on, like previously, until the scheduled time ends.

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
I cant understand why you cant choose dnd by days like alarm in the clock app :|

There are a million ideas and ways to do things. What you think is the better way may not be preferred by most people, or maybe it is, but it can't be implemented by a certain date because of technical or time constraints.

Also if you had bothered to read the article posted above, you'd see that there are ways to do exactly what you want through calendar events.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There are a million ideas and ways to do things. What you think is the better way may not be preferred by most people, or maybe it is, but it can't be implemented by a certain date because of technical or time constraints.

Also if you had bothered to read the article posted above, you'd see that there are ways to do exactly what you want through calendar events.
That kind of a feature has been requested since about the day that DND came out all these years ago. It can certainly be implemented after all this time if Apple decided to do it. And just because some people might not care about it doesn't mean that it isn't something that could be worthwhile--I mean there are plenty of people who don't care for or even know about DND and yet the feature came to be there all these years ago and is still there today. There can be some workarounds for things like that (and in this case it took years before something close to a workaround using events came along), but those workarounds can also be somewhat cumbersome when it comes to using them for things that they weren't really quite designed for.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
1E967FA2-715F-42A3-ACDD-E1892819CED6.png
E2491DE3-2A83-40C5-921B-408676AF21AD.png

Boom two screenshots.

Reactions: jhall8

lemimouth

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2015
How do you do this ? Bedtime is just an on/off switch, right ? I can't chose for which day. Did I miss something ?

Last edited:

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Something really cool is that Siri will suggest to turn on Do Not Disturb in certain situations. I had a movie pass in Apple Wallet and Siri suggested I turn on DND until I left the theater.

Reactions: jhall8

Phoboss

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2012
Something really cool is that Siri will suggest to turn on Do Not Disturb in certain situations. I had a movie pass in Apple Wallet and Siri suggested I turn on DND until I left the theater.
Yeah same here, I really like that feature. Same for when you have a calendar event. The only thing missing would be an option to do it automatically for certain events/calendars.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I can't use Do Not Disturb at bedtime because it blocks Home notifications. I have motion sensors setup that will not alert me if Do Not Disturb is activated. So, I keep my phone on silent full-time and let my watch handle all of the notifications. I could use more granularity than what we have now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.