Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kiddk1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
what is the difference between the cydia app and using the personal hotspot feature on my phone? Don't they both use data from my plan?

cappo3

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2014
I noticed the wireless hotspot function on my iphone 6 is much slower than the router function on my mother's galaxy s4. Will MyWi (or similar apps!) be faster? I don't understand why the iphone cannot use AC speed when in hotspot mode... :mad:

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I noticed the wireless hotspot function on my iphone 6 is much slower than the router function on my mother's galaxy s4. Will MyWi (or similar apps!) be faster? I don't understand why the iphone cannot use AC speed when in hotspot mode... :mad:

Maybe a limitation of the wireless chip inside, or possibly a limitation imposed by the carrier profile? Either way, your speed bump\limitation is on the carrier side, not the phone. You could have a gigabit router plugged into an AT&T phone and it's still going to be limited by the 5-60 mbps connection you have to the carrier.

I have a GS5 and an iPhone 6 and when I use either as a router I'm getting about the same throughput on internet connection. Not sure what you're referring to as far as using hotspot how the GS4 is faster. Are you using some sort of app to stream from the phone's storage to another device? Or are you talking purely about internet access speed?

cappo3

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2014
Maybe a limitation of the wireless chip inside, or possibly a limitation imposed by the carrier profile? Either way, your speed bump\limitation is on the carrier side, not the phone. You could have a gigabit router plugged into an AT&T phone and it's still going to be limited by the 5-60 mbps connection you have to the carrier.

I have a GS5 and an iPhone 6 and when I use either as a router I'm getting about the same throughput on internet connection. Not sure what you're referring to as far as using hotspot how the GS4 is faster. Are you using some sort of app to stream from the phone's storage to another device? Or are you talking purely about internet access speed?
Hi Shenan, thanks for your answer!

I'm talking about internet speeds, measured on speedtest.net.
My mother and I are both using the same provider, on the same plan.
There is no speed limitation whatsoever on this plan.
Using the USB cable I get about 120 mbit/s with both phones.
On wifi I get 60-80 mbit/s using the s4 and 20-35 mbit/s using the iphone.
Both on the same carrier, same place, same signal strength... And next to the laptop I'm measuring the speeds with.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Hi Shenan, thanks for your answer!

I'm talking about internet speeds, measured on speedtest.net.
My mother and I are both using the same provider, on the same plan.
There is no speed limitation whatsoever on this plan.
Using the USB cable I get about 120 mbit/s with both phones.
On wifi I get 60-80 mbit/s using the s4 and 20-35 mbit/s using the iphone.
Both on the same carrier, same place, same signal strength... And next to the laptop I'm measuring the speeds with.

Speedtest.net tests the connection from your phone to the public internet, and is affected by many factors, so should be taken with a grain of salt.

I think you're confused with something here... or you're not communicating something right. I am not aware of any cellular carrier that gets 120mbps over cellular\LTE, so it seems there might be an issue with your testing method.

The other factor is there may be a carrier profile imposed limitation on the speed when you're connecting via the iPhone's hotspot feature. Your carrier can impose a speed limit within the carrier profile, the network, or both for traffic being passed through the hotspot feature.

What carrier are you using that you claim to get 120 mbps out of over LTE? That's faster than even most Cable\Fiber internet providers are currently deploying in most countries, and certainly faster than any Cellular Carrier I have ever heard of or experienced, and I travel the world 1-2 weeks out of every month.

cappo3

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2014
Speedtest.net tests the connection from your phone to the public internet, and is affected by many factors, so should be taken with a grain of salt.

I think you're confused with something here... or you're not communicating something right. I am not aware of any cellular carrier that gets 120mbps over cellular\LTE, so it seems there might be an issue with your testing method.

The other factor is there may be a carrier profile imposed limitation on the speed when you're connecting via the iPhone's hotspot feature. Your carrier can impose a speed limit within the carrier profile, the network, or both for traffic being passed through the hotspot feature.

What carrier are you using that you claim to get 120 mbps out of over LTE? That's faster than even most Cable\Fiber internet providers are currently deploying in most countries, and certainly faster than any Cellular Carrier I have ever heard of or experienced, and I travel the world 1-2 weeks out of every month.
My testing method proved spot on, because I get approximately the same speeds when downloading big files.
I'm not using any american carriers, I'm based in Europe.
The problem here really isn't with my measuring methods or with the carrier. They tell me they don't throttle iphones, and i got no reason not to believe them... if they'd throttle iphones, they should then throttle androids as well, as they are much more common.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
My testing method proved spot on, because I get approximately the same speeds when downloading big files.
I'm not using any american carriers, I'm based in Europe.
The problem here really isn't with my measuring methods or with the carrier. They tell me they don't throttle iphones, and i got no reason not to believe them... if they'd throttle iphones, they should then throttle androids as well, as they are much more common.

No European carrier gives 120 mbps to any of their customers, that's a fact. So either you're not understanding what you're saying, or you're getting bad test results.

Every carrier in the world throttles to some extent. They're not going to tell you what and how they throttle. If they didn't throttle, you'd be able to access the internet at the speed of the backhaul, and there's no backhaul in 120 mbps increments, so you're showing your lack of education about the technology.

cappo3

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2014
No European carrier gives 120 mbps to any of their customers, that's a fact. So either you're not understanding what you're saying, or you're getting bad test results.

Every carrier in the world throttles to some extent. They're not going to tell you what and how they throttle. If they didn't throttle, you'd be able to access the internet at the speed of the backhaul, and there's no backhaul in 120 mbps increments, so you're showing your lack of education about the technology.
Ok, I get it.
Either I don't understand what I'm talking about or I'm a liar.
Thank for your judgement. I hope it is free of charge.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Ok, I get it.
Either I don't understand what I'm talking about or I'm a liar.
Thank for your judgement. I hope it is free of charge.

There's NO carrier in Europe offering 120 mbps LTE service currently.

It's like me saying I drive a car that runs only on gas and gets 400 miles per gallon. I can say it until I'm blue in the face, but the fact that a car can't get 400 miles per gallon on an all gas engine only makes me look foolish and uneducated.

But hey, you came here for advice, and told several people who tried to help that they're wrong and don't know what they're talking about. Maybe you ought to call your carrier or apple and discuss your vast knowledge of how the networks work with them instead.

When you ask for help, be willing to admit that you don't know everything.

Welcome to Mac Rumors... happy 1 week anniversary.

----------

Wow, 120mbps on LTE huh?
What European carrier is that with?

He's not sharing that.... even though I asked several times. It's the same carrier that doesn't touch a carrier file. It's the same carrier that doesn't throttle either at the network or the phone's level. It's the same carrier that he gets unlimited, unthrottled 120 mbps cellular connection to.

Sounds like Dreamland, a small city in Ukraine where everyone who's anyone lives. LOL.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
What European carrier is that with?

In another thread he says he "often read it is not recommended jailbreaking the software the phone got shipped with."

Maybe he read in the same place that he gets 120 mbps on LTE in Europe. LOL

cappo3

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2014
There's NO carrier in Europe offering 120 mbps LTE service currently.

It's like me saying I drive a car that runs only on gas and gets 400 miles per gallon. I can say it until I'm blue in the face, but the fact that a car can't get 400 miles per gallon on an all gas engine only makes me look foolish and uneducated.

But hey, you came here for advice, and told several people who tried to help that they're wrong and don't know what they're talking about. Maybe you ought to call your carrier or apple and discuss your vast knowledge of how the networks work with them instead.

When you ask for help, be willing to admit that you don't know everything.

Welcome to Mac Rumors... happy 1 week anniversary.
I never said something even remotely similar to "i know everything". Correct me if I'm wrong.
I never said you are wrong. Correct me if I'm wrong.
As I said, I'm getting relatively bad performances using the iphone's wifi hotspot function. I really don't see how this discussion relates to my carrier's policies, as I'm getting far better results using another device used in the same way.
Therefore, I don't see why you should jump in and tell me something that clearly sounds like "I travel a lot, so I know every carrier in the world and you just don't."

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
That's it, I'm moving to Ukraine then for the vodka and the amazing LTE:D

Just keep your eyes on the skies.... 76 planes have fallen to the earth in the country in the last year... if you see one coming down on you, get out of the way. Hopefully none hit one of those amazing 120 mbps cell towers. LOL

cappo3

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2014
In another thread he says he "often read it is not recommended jailbreaking the software the phone got shipped with."

Maybe he read in the same place that he gets 120 mbps on LTE in Europe. LOL

Are you making this personal?

Ps: you can find that information on this very forum. And I was asking, because that sounds absurd to me as well.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I never said something even remotely similar to "i know everything". Correct me if I'm wrong.
I never said you are wrong. Correct me if I'm wrong.
As I said, I'm getting relatively bad performances using the iphone's wifi hotspot function. I really don't see how this discussion relates to my carrier's policies, as I'm getting far better results using another device used in the same way.
Therefore, I don't see why you should jump in and tell me something that clearly sounds like "I travel a lot, so I know every carrier in the world and you just don't."

When you understand the technology (and by technology I mean the LTE technology as well as those relating to backhaul), you'll understand how to read a bit into someone's claims.

When you take a hard line stance into saying your carrier doesn't throttle on the network or the phone level, yet don't understand why your iPhone's hotspot is slower than that of your Android, it demonstrates your clear lack of understanding of the way phones interact with the network... so it's hard to want to help when you're unwilling to break free of your hard line position. I can 100% guarantee your carrier throttles at the network level... otherwise when you were downloading a big file, nobody else would be able to. They may not impose strict throttling, but they most certainly do not "not throttle in any way whatsoever" as you stated.

And I can guarantee your claim of 120 mbps LTE to be inaccurate. Prove me w wrong, post 4 screen shots of 4 speed tests to different servers on your miracle LTE connection.

----------

Are you making this personal?

Ps: you can find that information on this very forum. And I was asking, because that sounds absurd to me as well.

Yeah, well I could tell someone that there's now 120 mbps LTE in europe thanks to your post. People write things that are absurd and make no sense all the time on MacRumors Forums. This thread is a prime example.

cappo3

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2014
When you understand the technology (and by technology I mean the LTE technology as well as those relating to backhaul), you'll understand how to read a bit into someone's claims.

When you take a hard line stance into saying your carrier doesn't throttle on the network or the phone level, yet don't understand why your iPhone's hotspot is slower than that of your Android, it demonstrates your clear lack of understanding of the way phones interact with the network... so it's hard to want to help when you're unwilling to break free of your hard line position. I can 100% guarantee your carrier throttles at the network level... otherwise when you were downloading a big file, nobody else would be able to. They may not impose strict throttling, but they most certainly do not "not throttle in any way whatsoever" as you stated.

And I can guarantee your claim of 120 mbps LTE to be inaccurate. Prove me w wrong, post 4 screen shots of 4 speed tests to different servers on your miracle LTE connection.

----------

Yeah, well I could tell someone that there's now 120 mbps LTE in europe thanks to your post. People write things that are absurd and make no sense all the time on MacRumors Forums. This thread is a prime example.

As you say that it is normal for the wireless hotspot function on my iphone to be slower than the same function on an android device, and you sound like you understand A LOT about this matter, I very kindly ask you to explain me the reason behind it.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
As you say that it is normal for the wireless hotspot function on my iphone to be slower than the same function on an android device, and you sound like you understand A LOT about this matter, I very kindly ask you to explain me the reason behind it.

Scroll up. Carrier file. It's what controls almost every way in which your phone interacts with the cellular carrier. Every carrier pushes settings to the iPhone.

You still haven't stated what country\carrier you're getting 120 mbps from.

cappo3

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2014
Scroll up. Carrier file. It's what controls almost every way in which your phone interacts with the cellular carrier. Every carrier pushes settings to the iPhone.

You still haven't stated what country\carrier you're getting 120 mbps from.
This doesn't explain why I get good speeds as soon as I connect the iphone to the laptop using the USB cable.

cappo3

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2014
I'm doing some tests right now, it seems the main barrier is to be found in the connection standard the iphone is using, the 802.11g.
I guess that's why the connection doesn't get any faster than 40 mbit/s.
Is it possible that android phones use a faster standard, like the N?
I don't have one at hand right now to try it out myself!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-21 at 23.33.51.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-21 at 23.33.51.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 87

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Every device has different hardware.
Not all androids are the same and just because another phone can do certain things differently doesn't mean the iphone will do them the same way also.
Why do you need to go faster than 40mbps anyway? Besides just for bragging or showing it off to others?
You still didn't tell us what carriers network you are on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.