Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matthew23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
I have T-Mobile and my Apple store only had the SIM free iPhone XS max. The rep told me there should be no difference between that and the T-Mobile version of the XS Max so I got the SIM free version. Will the SIM free version support the new bands, etc that I have been reading about in T-Mobile that the iPhone now supports? Any difference in the antennas or software that connects to T-mobile? I just want to make sure I’ll get the same performance out of the SIM free version on t-mobile.

Thanks!!!

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
No difference this year. All iPhones have identical hardware except in China. The only difference is that there is no T-Mobile SIM in your box.

matthew23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Great, thanks so much! What is the advantage to ever getting the T-mobile version then?

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
Also the sim free versions have to be paid in full, the carrier ones can be financed through the carrier or Apple directly.

matthew23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Also the sim free versions have to be paid in full, the carrier ones can be financed through the carrier or Apple directly.

I actually got the SIM free version through Apple's IUP program...they made have added the SIM free version to the program this year?

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
Hmm not sure, but when you look at sim free versions on Apple.com it only allows you to pay in full or do special financing with Barclays. It doesn't even show the breakdown of monthly payments like it does on the carrier versions.

matthew23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Nope, this is unlocked. My receipt says "iPhone Unlocked" but the box does not give any indication of it being unlocked or for any specific carrier. Should the box say something?

If it helps, I initially got an iPhone XS through the iUP for T-Mobile at Apple.com. I decided I wanted the Max and exchanged it today but, as stated above, they did not have a T-Mobile version, only the SIM free version.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Nope, this is unlocked. My receipt says "iPhone Unlocked" but the box does not give any indication of it being unlocked or for any specific carrier. Should the box say something?

If it helps, I initially got an iPhone XS through the iUP for T-Mobile at Apple.com. I decided I wanted the Max and exchanged it today but, as stated above, they did not have a T-Mobile version, only the SIM free version.
If that is what the receipt says, you should be good to go.

matthew23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
If that is what the receipt says, you should be good to go.
Do you think they screwed up? I saw that they had SIM free versions online before I went there and when I got there, I explained to the guy that I wanted to exchange my XS for the XS Max SIM free version as that's what it showed they had in stock. The guys said cool, put in my reservation and then brought the phone out and we did the exchange. He had to run my credit again and approve for the new IUP and then cancelled the old one once everything went through.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Do you think they screwed up? I saw that they had SIM free versions online before I went there and when I got there, I explained to the guy that I wanted to exchange my XS for the XS Max SIM free version as that's what it showed they had in stock. The guys said cool, put in my reservation and then brought the phone out and we did the exchange. He had to run my credit again and approve for the new IUP and then cancelled the old one once everything went through.
No, I don't think they screwed up. You should be fine.

matthew23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
So, here's what I just found out from another thread - you can by a SIM free version through the IUP program BUT is has to be activated through a carrier at the store. They gave me a new T-mobile SIM card and activated it at the store. I guess they don't want people buying SIM free versions without activating them...

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
So, here's what I just found out from another thread - you can by a SIM free version through the IUP program BUT is has to be activated through a carrier at the store. They gave me a new T-mobile SIM card and activated it at the store. I guess they don't want people buying SIM free versions without activating them...

Hmmm. If you buy a SIM free phone outright they won’t make you activate it. My hunch is that it’s an extra step to insure that you’re keeping the phone yourself and not selling it (which is odd given the fact that IUP is effectively an unsecured loan).

matthew23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Hmmm. If you buy a SIM free phone outright they won’t make you activate it. My hunch is that it’s an extra step to insure that you’re keeping the phone yourself and not selling it (which is odd given the fact that IUP is effectively an unsecured loan).
Probably, it forces you to come in the store to use the IUP for a SIM free phone whereas if you buy online you have to pay full price and can then do whatever you wants with the phone and there is no loan...

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
No difference this year. All iPhones have identical hardware except in China. The only difference is that there is no T-Mobile SIM in your box.

One other difference, there is no SIM ejector unless I missed it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.