Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Worlrl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2020
Hi.
I'm planing upgrading from my 8 to the 12/12mini once the 13 is out.

from real world experience, how much really is the duffrence in battery life between those two?

the only reason I'm not sure about the mini is that the battery won't be much better than the 8.

thx

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I own both an 8 and a 12 Mini. The battery life is almost the same on both of them but the 12 Mini does better because it's newer.

I don't listen to music or stream videos on my phones nor do I play games so my battery usage is fairly moderate. I can generally get a day to a day and a half from the 12 Mini before the battery is at around 50% and I recharge it.

Worlrl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2020
I own both an 8 and a 12 Mini. The battery life is almost the same on both of them but the 12 Mini does better because it's newer.

I don't listen to music or stream videos on my phones nor do I play games so my battery usage is fairly moderate. I can generally get a day to a day and a half from the 12 Mini before the battery is at around 50% and I recharge it.
Really? The same? That's bad

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Ugh screen. Smaller footprint. Apple can’t fool physics. I still love my mini. Awesome device. My favorite iPhone.

Reactions: Barbareren

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
I also moved from an 8 to a 12 mini. I'm very happy with the battery life - a little over 2 days. But I don't play games or watch videos.

Reactions: snipr125

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Unless your phone usage drastically changes with the mini, you should be fine. Expect about 6 hrs SoT with the mini.
Hows your battery life Robert? I kinda feel the MagSafe is flawed. I woke up again this morning and my phone was too hot charging. In fact it was BLAZING HOT. It had a warning screen saying too hot, and it cannot operate. I think its one reason why my battery health is down to 93%, MagSafe has been somewhat complex in terms of its execution.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Hows your battery life Robert? I kinda feel the MagSafe is flawed. I woke up again this morning and my phone was too hot charging. In fact it was BLAZING HOT. It had a warning screen saying too hot, and it cannot operate. I think its one reason why my battery health is down to 93%, MagSafe has been somewhat complex in terms of its execution.
I don’t use MagSafe. I have been using Qi charging 99% of the time and my battery health (don’t really trust the reading) still shows 100%. I didn’t go with MagSafe for the same kind of reason you mentioned.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Really nice. Do you fast charge on usb-c to lightning? Are you a moderate user? I might reconsider my use of MagSafe when I get my battery replaced in a few months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.