Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
I see apples has released new smart covers but are they different than the older ones? I understand cases will only be capitable for specific iPads (air and air 2) but the mini covers seem like the same ones as before right?

Also I only notice a leather version for the mini - is that right?

cookiemonster89

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2012
I'd also like to know, if the old iPad Air Smart COVER will fit on the new Air 2. It looks like they changed the modell number but I don't know if this means the old one wouldn't fit on the new one.

dilap

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2014
London, UK
I'd also like to know, if the old iPad Air Smart COVER will fit on the new Air 2. It looks like they changed the modell number but I don't know if this means the old one wouldn't fit on the new one.

It will because the front is the same size and apples store lists it as compatible with both

Last edited:

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
If you wanted to force purchases you could rearrange the magnets again. :rolleyes:

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
Seems there are different model numbers for older ones and newer ones - so I'm assuming maybe SOME minor differences.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Perhaps it's just different packaging. It'll probably say something like "Smart Cover for iPad Air and iPad Air 2" now.

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
It will because the front is the same size and apples store lists it as compatible with both

This is sort of odd given that the magnet needs to latch on to a cylindrical frame, which would obviously be different between the two iPads. Unless you were talking about the smart case not cover, which would be a different story.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.