Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alljunks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2007
I am thinking about upgrading to 4GB on my MBP. Just want to see those have 4GB out there, do you see perfermance increase?

webgoat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
Austin, TX
you will see an obvious performance increase in certain situations but depending on what you are using your computer for it might not be necessary

TESEV

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2006
New Orleans, LA
I'd get the 4GB

I would get the 4GB of ram. Aside from future-proofing, I can always find a way to increase performance, such as creating a RAM-Disk. It's also great (i'm resisting the temptation to say required) for photoshopping, gaming, etc, etc.

What are you planning to do with your machine?

alljunks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2007
I would get the 4GB of ram. Aside from future-proofing, I can always find a way to increase performance, such as creating a RAM-Disk. It's also great (i'm resisting the temptation to say required) for photoshopping, gaming, etc, etc.

safari, download, video playing on external 32" LCD not heavy task..

arcobb

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
Colorado
I've got a MBP with 2 GB of ram. I'm more then happy with it. I like the idea that I can upgrade as I need it ... say if Leapord slows uses more ram then tiger (hmm, anyone want to make a bet that it will! Oink!) But I imagine I'd be able to add a stick to up it to 3 GB ... and then if my needs increase I can still add another 1 GB.

So I'd say if you find your system is slowing down as you are working and find you have Fusion (or parrallels), photoshop, dreamweaver, 4 browsers, email, and maybe an iMovie or iTunes (oh, don't for get those little widgets) open all at the same time ... you should probably go for the 4 GB. But if you tend to just have photoshop and mail open at one time ... you'll be fine with the 2 GB.

To be honest ... the only time I find myself shutting programs down is when I have Fusion running. Outside of that I'm able to have as many programs open at one time that I want without any slowdown.

Cheers!

webgoat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
Austin, TX
I've got a MBP with 2 GB of ram. I'm more then happy with it. I like the idea that I can upgrade as I need it ... say if Leapord slows uses more ram then tiger (hmm, anyone want to make a bet that it will! Oink!) But I imagine I'd be able to add a stick to up it to 3 GB ... and then if my needs increase I can still add another 1 GB.
Cheers!

how is this possible with only 2 slots?

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
How Do You Run A Modern RAM Disc TESEV?

How do you create a RAM disk TESEV? I used to do it in the early years ('85-'89) to run the system "super fast". But I haven't noticed how to do it in the modern era. Can we run OS X off a large RAM disc if we have a lot of RAM in a Mac Pro? Do you just use it just to run the applications? Links please?

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
Very good Multimedia!

All joking aside, I just put 4gb of RAM in my MBP last night, and it boots in less than half the time it did before. Programs open at about the same speed (although they do relaunch faster if they've been opened recently) and it seems to function at about the same speed. I haven't given it too many labor intensive tasks yet though. I'll try that later today.

Trepex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
Very good Multimedia!

All joking aside, I just put 4gb of RAM in my MBP last night, and it boots in less than half the time it did before. Programs open at about the same speed (although they do relaunch faster if they've been opened recently) and it seems to function at about the same speed. I haven't given it too many labor intensive tasks yet though. I'll try that later today.

It should not boot in half the time. Something else going on there.

The Stig

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2006
On the track
If you have the money to dish out for 4gb of ram. GET IT.

If you don't. DON'T.

Q: Is more better than less?
A: YES!

The Stig

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
It should not boot in half the time. Something else going on there.

That's what I thought, but when I restarted it after putting the RAM in, in flew through the opening apple screen right after the chime. I was at about 1 minute to 1:15 to boot up before. I timed it last night and it took about 30 seconds. What else could explain this?

Salty Pirate

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
kansas city
What sort of differences are you seeing with 4GB? I haven't noticed a huge bump in speed and that's why I am wondering what's up. I started this thread, but apparently no one knows what's up. Anyone that can help?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/363362/

The overall 'teh snap' of the machine. It is faster. Also, when at work, I am ADD, so I have like 20 windows open, different apps, all kinds of stuff and with 2 GB, I was swapping alot. Now, barely at all. It is nice to to have to worry about shutting things down if I am gonna open something else. Aperture is MUCH faster with 4 GB. itunes in full screen mode doing coverflow seems to gobble ram too.

galstaph

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2002
The Great White North Eh
In my experience so far, programs open about the same speed (universal anyhow) Rosetta dependant apps are much faster. I also use autocad, formz and the like, the 4gb lets formz render like its going out of style:D and allows me to run autocad under parallels with a full 2gb dedicated to it, really improves parallels with this, honestly worth it for that alone IMO
Otherwise there is more snappiness all around in general.
2gb is still very usable though
But if you can afford it get it (or wait for 4gb sodimms:D)

nevinp

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2004
4Gb cost me US$139...

I'm convinced.

I was convinced to upgrade to 4Gb in my 17 MBP when I found out that FRY's stores in the US were selling 2x2Gb DDR2 RAM for US$139. I had a mate buy the RAM in Atlanta and bring it home to Australia with him.

I can't say that I have noticed a difference in speed but I can happily give my VMware machines 1Gb now and not have to worry about it.

Incidentally, bootcamp can only see 3Gb RAM for some reason.

Oh, yea. I sold both original 1Gb RAM sticks on eBay for $55 each so the 4Gb RAM upgrade cost me about AU$50. sweeeeet

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
Ok, I figured out why my computer wasn't any faster after installing the new RAM. I checked disc permissions and they were all sorts of mixed up and confused. I repaired them, and WOW!!!!! Instead of it taking iCal, Quicksilver, and The Missing Sync about 30 seconds to load when I first start up, it takes about 5 tops. This thing is FAST!!!

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
I was convinced to upgrade to 4Gb in my 17 MBP when I found out that FRY's stores in the US were selling 2x2Gb DDR2 RAM for US$139. I had a mate buy the RAM in Atlanta and bring it home to Australia with him.

I can't say that I have noticed a difference in speed but I can happily give my VMware machines 1Gb now and not have to worry about it.

Incidentally, bootcamp can only see 3Gb RAM for some reason.

Oh, yea. I sold both original 1Gb RAM sticks on eBay for $55 each so the 4Gb RAM upgrade cost me about AU$50. sweeeeet

Are you using Windows XP or Vista with Boot Camp? I think XP can only address 3gb of RAM, or am I wrong? I just installed Boot Camp and XP Pro today, and it's only showing 2.98 GB of RAM. I think that is normal for XP in general, or so I was told by a PC user.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.