Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
My Mac has two other accounts in addition to my administrator account and I'm running the latest OS (Big Sur 11.5.2). It often happens that I will update a program in the App Store in my account but one or more of the other accounts shows a notification that there is an update available. If I open the App Store in those accounts, the update it's showing is one of the programs I already updated. This has been going on even with the previous OS.

Don't all of the accounts reference the same program files? If so why would another account show that a program has to be updated if I already did so? Or is there some system setting that I need to use?

Thanks.

njvm

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2018
@mac_in_tosh - you can certainly install applications that are user account specific. The article below explains this. I am not sure though how this would impact on it’s updating if an app is installed in multiple user accounts - over to someone who is more technically aware to explain this!

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
@mac_in_tosh - you can certainly install applications that are user account specific.
That's interesting but I install apps in my administrator account and never (knowingly) choose to make any account specific. As an example, in my account Pages in the Applications folder is showing version 11.1 which is the latest version and the App Store does not show it needing an update. In another account, I check the Applications folder and it is also showing version 11.1 but the App Store there says there's an update available for it. Also, if I start Pages in each account, the About Pages menu item shows exactly the same version number. So why does the App Store in the other account think it needs to be updated?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.