Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dawindmg08

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008
Los Angeles
I have a Mac Mini upstairs in my house that I occasionally log into for file sharing (mostly it runs Plex and iTunes for my AppleTV).

When I first set up the Mini, I gave the admin account the username HOME_SERVER. I had issues with logging into it remotely so I decided to simplify the admin username and changed it to my name. The Home folder on the Mini still retains the HOME_SERVER name, however.

When I log into the Mini via the Shared menu in the sidebar, it uses smb protocol which requires the HOME_SERVER username; if I try to use the actual admin name (me) it will not take it.

When I log in via the GO menu in the Finder and use the afp protocol, I'm able to use the admin username successfully.

Is this normal behavior for the two protocols? It seems odd the admin username doesn't work consistently. Is the mismatch of the Home folder name to the admin name causing issues, and if so should I reset everything to one name to be consistent?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Is this normal behavior for the two protocols? It seems odd the admin username doesn't work consistently. Is the mismatch of the Home folder name to the admin name causing issues, and if so should I reset everything to one name to be consistent?

When accounts are renamed it can cause this issue.

Reactions: dawindmg08
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.