Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
Just a general question on networking. I have two Macs setup on the same network (AirPort Time Capsule last model), both sitting next to each other. My wife's 2013 MacBook Pro, and my 2017 Retina MacBook. The 2017 supports 802.11ac, while the 2013 only supports 802.11n.

I'd assumed that the 2017 would be faster to backup to a network drive, but Ive just purchased Carbon Copy cloner & doing the initial backups, the 2017 almost never gets above 1 MB/s for uploads while the 2013 regularly hits 10+Mb/s.

I know there are a million things that could effect the download speed, such as one computer connecting on the 2.4 network vs 5 Ghz, etc, but assuming they are both connecting with the same attributes (the speed differences seem to be similar over long periods of time). It's obviously possible I missed the 2017 connecting at a higher speed, but even time I looked at it during the initial 20 hour backup, it was down in the 1 MB/s range.

Is it likely that the difference is based on the 2017 being finless & passively cooled, while the 2013 Pro has a fan that allows it to run hotter?

They both feel about the same speed wise when using them (I know intel has different generations of chips, so I'm not sure how to compare the two. FWIW the 2013 Pro has a 3 GHz Dual Core Intel Core i7, while the 2017 has an intel 7th Gen Intel Core i7-7Y75 processor), but just generally interested on why the 2017 would be slower. It's not going to change anything (I love my 12" MacBook & fingers crossed Apple releases a new one with an M Series chip) & now that the initial downloads are over, it won't really matter, but just curious as to what might be likely causes for the different network performance.

Thanks in advance,

Edited to add: When backing up to a locally attached USB drive, they both performed about the same. I didn't look at specific numbers, but the backups took about the same amount of time. The difference seems to be in the backups to the network drive.

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
You're backups are entirely over wireless?

Do keep in mind that 10mb/s is 'theoretically' equivalent to 1.25MB/s ;)

I have two Ubiquity Nano's conducting wireless activities in my 1.2Kft^2 home via ATT 1Gbps Fiber, and I can (at-max) sometimes feed 500Mbps to my 2015 MBP 12,1 (more like 300-400 Mb/s).

My MP 5,1 (which is bastardized with after-market WIFI) can sometimes pull approx. the same over wireless. I can 'gracefully' approach 100MB/s via wired Ethernet.

I have a Synology 922+ in my network, and (while I haven't really performed any specific metrics) I can feed it @~70-90MB/s; wired. More like 50-70GB/s wired, on any, regular given day.

Ensure that your metrics are the same for proper analysis.

Reactions: mk313 and mfram

mk313

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
You're backups are entirely over wireless?

Do keep in mind that 10mb/s is 'theoretically' equivalent to 1.25MB/s ;)

I have two Ubiquity Nano's conducting wireless activities in my 1.2Kft^2 home via ATT 1Gbps Fiber, and I can (at-max) sometimes feed 500Mbps to my 2015 MBP 12,1 (more like 300-400 Mb/s).

My MP 5,1 (which is bastardized with after-market WIFI) can sometimes pull approx. the same over wireless. I can 'gracefully' approach 100MB/s via wired Ethernet.

I have a Synology 922+ in my network, and (while I haven't really performed any specific metrics) I can feed it @~70-90MB/s; wired. More like 50-70GB/s wired, on any, regular given day.

Ensure that your metrics are the same for proper analysis.
Thank you. That explains it. I didn't realize that I was looking at different units of measure, but those are pretty close.

Also, thanks for sharing your speeds, that's helpful. I've ordered an ethernet adapter for the 2013 computer. Hopefully that will help with the backup speeds somewhat. The 2017 has a dock that has an ethernet adapter built in. I'll have to play around with that a bit.

Reactions: splifingate

mk313

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
1 MB/s (2017 MBP) = 8 Mb/s
1.25 MB/s = 10 Mb/s (2013 MBP)
Pretty close to the same speed. Where are you getting the numbers from?
Thanks. Those numbers are coming from the Carbon Copy Cloner display that is showing the 'copied' data speed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.