Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evanavevan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I recently picked up an iPad mini 4, and I've noticed that the stock split keyboard is smaller than the mini 2 I'm coming from. The mini 2 has been restored to default, and I think the only setting I changed on the mini 4 was Dynamic Text. I tried messing around with Dynamic Text but this doesn't seem to affect the keyboard size. I can't find anything in accessibility either. The larger one is easier to type on due to the bigger keys. Both are running 9.1. Anyone know how to adjust the keyboard size (I've Googled around but can't find anything), or why this might be different?

mini 2:
IMG_0001.jpg

mini 4:
IMG_0005.PNG

randomgeeza

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2014
United Kingdom
Could it be due to the fact that in the second screen grab you have a search area at the top of the Note window... It might have affected the rendering of the keyboard, to fit.

evanavevan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Could it be due to the fact that in the second screen grab you have a search area at the top of the Note window... It might have affected the rendering of the keyboard, to fit.

Nah, it's like this everywhere, I just went into Notes to demonstrate but the keyboard sizes are like that in all apps. I'm really confused.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
wow ... it would be interesting to know if it's a design choice or just something messed up in your system.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
I know the 9.7 inch iPads use this smaller split keyboard but that's because they're physically larger, it makes the split keyboard easier to use. The iPad minis up until this point have had a larger split keyboard even though they have the same resolution as the larger iPads. Again, this is for usability. I have no clue why this would be occurring on the mini 4, only thing I can suggest is a clean install but you also said the only setting you've changed is dynamic text which shouldn't have caused any issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.