Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ctheos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2022
Singapore
Hi all! First time posting in this forum, and using forums in general to be honest. I apologise if making a post like this out of the blue is considered bad etiquette.

I recently decided to revisit a series of games from my childhood, the Rainbow Fish series. According the website I got the files from (Macintosh Garden) the games worked best in Sheepshaver when it came to emulation, so I set about making it work. I've never done the whole virtual machine song and dance before, so it took me a moment, but I was able to get Sheepshaver all set up to run in Mac OS 9.

With that done, I tried running/installing the game(s) and ran into signs of trouble. I tried unstuffing the game, at which point I was told the hard disk didn't have enough space (which felt weird to me because I allocated about 1 GB to Sheepshaver and Rainbow Fish is NOT that big of a game), after doing some troubleshooting (which led me to this forum) I tried installing Toast 5 Titanium. This is where I found myself unable to progress further, and documentation on this issue was difficult to find, so I'm posting here.

My problem is now as follows: Roxio Toast 5.0.1 Installer tells me "An error occurred while reading the installer data. This installer appears to be damaged. The disk is locked." I can get further when I try launching the serializer (no idea what that does btw), it gives me a window or two before telling me the disk its trying to install to/serialize/idk is locked. The disk its trying to get to is Mac OS 9, which is the Mac OS install disk. This seems fishy to me but I don't know enough about this era of computers (or computers in general, to be frank) to really know what's going on.

Also, not sure if this is a problem but the game was made for Mac OS 7.6 (I assumed it would run in version 9.0.4 but maybe I assumed too much), and on top of that when I named the hard disk during the setup phase I named it MacOS 9 (one space away from what the install disk is called), not sure if that screws things up too.

EDIT: keeping the main body of the text intact because I'm not entirely sure what this clarifies, but I realised I hadnt kicked the install disc for OS 9.0.4 out, so that was causing problems for me

Thank you for all the help you can provide!

Reactions: diamond.g

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
You need to provide information on the computer you are using and the OS that it is running. Are you running the OS on hardware native to the OS or trying to use an emulator of some sort on newer hardware?

I don't know why Toast is involved in all of this as it is a disc burning application and you are attempting to install software. You trying to make an install disc or something?

Don't assume some app written prior to OS 9 will run in OS 9.

I can't help you as I have never used OS 9 in my life. My first Mac OS was OSX along with hardware for said OS. I just know you need to offer more information about your setup for any meaningful conversation about this.

Ctheos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2022
Singapore
Hi! Apologies for the lack of clarity. Turns out 90% of the problems I was having were because I was trying to run the emulator with the install disk still in, so things were screwed up as hell. I'm able to get the game working just fine (but there's no sound, which I need to troubleshoot right now). I'll keep what you said in mind for the future!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.