Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
Hello.

Just looking into this whole DAW thing, as I may have a need in the near future to be involved in something.

Looking at a PT LE setup, with a Digi 002 rack. If I need more then 4 mic inputs at once, how would I go about that. Can you 'stack' the 002 rack with another??

Also, sounds like Logic Pro is better at some things.....virtual instruments, midi, etc. Can Logic be used in conjunction with PT in some way if needed?

Excuse my questions....still learning as I go....

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
you cannot gang 002's. however, it does have 18 inputs:
- 4 mic pre's, switchable to line ins
- 4 line ins
- 8 channels via ADAT
- 2 channels via s/pdif

fwiw, i don't use the pre's or conversion on my 002r. i have an apogee rosetta 800 hooked up via ADAT, and a benchmark dac-1 hooked to the s/pdif out, which i use for monitoring.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
VanMac said:
If I need more then 4 mic inputs at once, how would I go about that.
i wanted to answer this more directly.

if you buy 4 channels of external mic pre's, you can take the lines out of those to the 4 lines in of the 002. that'll give you 8 mic ins, including the onboard 4.

for the next 8, you'll need 8 channels of external mic pre's and 8 channels of a/d conversion going to the ADAT in. as above, i use the rosetta800 for the conversion. i have a variety of mic pre's. my current favorites are the phoenix drs series and the brent averill 312a's.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
I am having serious issues with a Digi002 Rack unit at the moment, and there are a number of submissions on the Digi forums with Firewire problems...

I believe Logic can be used with the PT hardware. Question -- if you have Logic, what is your requirement for ProTools LE? Are you working with other people who need ProTools files?

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
zimv20 said:
i wanted to answer this more directly.

if you buy 4 channels of external mic pre's, you can take the lines out of those to the 4 lines in of the 002. that'll give you 8 mic ins, including the onboard 4.

for the next 8, you'll need 8 channels of external mic pre's and 8 channels of a/d conversion going to the ADAT in. as above, i use the rosetta800 for the conversion. i have a variety of mic pre's. my current favorites are the phoenix drs series and the brent averill 312a's.
Very cool. Thanks for the info. Sounds like you have a nice setup.

How do you like using PT?

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
CanadaRAM said:
I am having serious issues with a Digi002 Rack unit at the moment, and there are a number of submissions on the Digi forums with Firewire problems...

I believe Logic can be used with the PT hardware. Question -- if you have Logic, what is your requirement for ProTools LE? Are you working with other people who need ProTools files?

Hey CanadaRAM.
What kind of issues are you having with the Digi002?

I dont have Logic. Have nothing at this point actually. We are not ready to go for a high end solution at this point, but whatever we get, I want the tools to be more in line with what the industry is using, as there will be a big time investment in learning, etc. That is kind of why I'm leaning to the whole ProTools line of things.

Also, if we do need to share are work with some studios (which is highly likely), ProTools is likely a safer bet then something else.

I ask about using Logic, as it seems to have some strenghts that maybe ProTools does not have. Would we perhaps do some things in ProTools, do some things in Logic, and be able to take advantage of both their strengths. Both seem like a good choice as far as learning, and being able to use those skills going forward. A lot of what we will be doing starting off will be a learning excercise, so I just want to invest in the right tools out the gate and build upon those skills.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
VanMac said:
How do you like using PT?
i'm a big fan of PT. it's easy to use, easy to learn, makes sense, is snappy and is very solid.

the LE hardware, otoh...

most of what i do is audio recording and mixing. sometimes i do sequencing and softsynths, but lately that's been in reason. once i get a reason song the way i want, i'll save off aiffs of the individual tracks, bring them into PTLE, and do the rest there (record audio, mix it).

my advice is always: pick the software first, then pick the hardware. if you do think you want to go with, say, Logic, i'd advise you to avoid digi hardware. it's overpriced and underfeatured. and, imo, just not very good (which is why i use outboard pre's and converters).

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
VanMac said:
Also, if we do need to share are work with some studios (which is highly likely), ProTools is likely a safer bet then something else.
almost everyone i work with uses PT. being able to share session files is a Big Deal.

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Pro Tools is the best for hard drive recording. Midi had been pretty bad in Pro Tools, but has gotten better in the more recent versions. Logic is best with midi/samples/plugin friendly, etc, and is a little more 'sexy' some say than Pro Tools.

People scoring for film and tv with samples use Logic or Cubase; not Pro Tools. But people in recording studios use Pro Tools; not Logic. They are different programs IMO, with different aims, but get compared to one another quite a bit. I think we are trying to compare very different products.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
zimv20 said:
i'm a big fan of PT. it's easy to use, easy to learn, makes sense, is snappy and is very solid.

the LE hardware, otoh...

most of what i do is audio recording and mixing. sometimes i do sequencing and softsynths, but lately that's been in reason. once i get a reason song the way i want, i'll save off aiffs of the individual tracks, bring them into PTLE, and do the rest there (record audio, mix it).

my advice is always: pick the software first, then pick the hardware. if you do think you want to go with, say, Logic, i'd advise you to avoid digi hardware. it's overpriced and underfeatured. and, imo, just not very good (which is why i use outboard pre's and converters).

Ever hear of ReWire Zim?:D

I use reason behind PT quite a lot, and just stream the audio directly into the tracks when I'm happy, or leave them RW'd into the mix, works like a charm.

It's very possible to run Logic through PT hardware, we use HD192 interfaces and logic runs through them well enough, and my M-box works well with Logic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.