Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you prefer digital downloads or physical discs or physical cartridges?

• I prefer the physical disc (example PS4, XB1)

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • I prefer the physical cartridge (example Switch, 3DS)

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • I prefer digital downloads (example, Nintendo eShop, Playstation store, Steam)

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Either is fine by me, I have no preference

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
I haven't bought a physical game in about 5 years. All digital. Convenience is key. Also, if my box got stolen or lost I can just redownload all my games. You own them forever no matter what. If your discs get stolen or lost, you're out of luck.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Really, until they discontinue support for that device....
That's my worry. Wii online shop will be discontinue this month I believe.

But then I think in 10 years I won't be playing games from 10 years ago, even if they were awesome.

I don't play PS1, PS2 or N64 games anymore.

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
Really, until they discontinue support for that device....

So far as I'm aware, there hasn't been a system where they discontinued downloads for games you purchased. I believe this would be against the law. Even Xbox Fitness had to refund purchased content when they discontinued it.

Even when games are de-listed, you're still allowed to download them.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I like the old school concept of a physical disc, but lazy as I am it's all digital now. Got me a 4TB external disc for my PS4 to store all those games as I buy more than I can play. :)

Biggest perk on digital downloads is when you pre-order them. Everything downloaded and installed 2 days before release so you can jump right in at 0000Hr :cool:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
So what's your preferred method to getting games.
I can see the logic in getting a physical disk, as the content doesn't full consume the internal storage and you can easily resell.

On the other hand, if you have fast storage, the experience may be a bit better and you don't need to keep a pile of disks around that can get scratched

I prefer digital copy now.

1) It will never damage like the physical copy. If for any reason it's corrupted, I can always download it again (as long as the server still there).

2) I never sell my game collection.

3) I can buy only one copy and play on multiple devices. I often own more than one console (I mean the same console, but different version). So, one digital copy can fit all of them simultaneously.

4) Switch games much quicker and easier. Especially when my wife is sleeping on my lap, or when I am using the remote play function (streaming).

5) Easy to buy, e.g. my wife love to play on day 1. So, I pre-order and pre download for her. It make her able to play the game on the 1st second at the launch day. (I know occasionally can get physical copy even earlier than launch day, but it's not common). It cost my literally less than a minute to buy a game. For physical copies, transportation will cost me at least 30min.

6) Very big discount occasionally (cheaper than physical copies). Most of my games are belongs to the $20 range. e.g. I just bought the Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2 Ultimate combo on XB store for $26. Both games are enhanced for XB1X, and average $13 each is really attractive.

7) No disc spinning noise, I rally hate it.

And both of my PS4 and XB1 now running with the 2TB SSHD. Which is really great for play digital copies. Reasonable capacity, and relatively fast loading.

Kawawolf

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2018
Upstate NY
I'm not a hardcore gamer, so I'm a bit old fashioned when it comes to games. If its a disk, I will always have it, not be at the mercy of some internet service. It takes a bit longer to load a game, but its not that much longer! Plus I couldn't see me trying to download some huge 10 gb game without Spectrum coming down on me, wondering what I'm up to that would necessitate such a download.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
So far as I'm aware, there hasn't been a system where they discontinued downloads for games you purchased. I believe this would be against the law. Even Xbox Fitness had to refund purchased content when they discontinued it.

Even when games are de-listed, you're still allowed to download them.
Isn't the Wii online shop/store supposed to be discontinue this year? I read that news a few months ago.

That's my biggest fear with digital. Some day they will stop storing the games in the server. But I but wherever it's cheaper, and digital has some great offers. Plus second hand the discs are in bad shape usually. I don't buy new for 60€ anymore, except two or three essential games.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Isn't the Wii online shop/store supposed to be discontinue this year? I read that news a few months ago.

That's my biggest fear with digital. Some day they will stop storing the games in the server. But I but wherever it's cheaper, and digital has some great offers. Plus second hand the discs are in bad shape usually. I don't buy new for 60€ anymore, except two or three essential games.

Has anyone tried to re-download a game on the Wii lately?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.