Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BostonQuad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2015
Does anyone else have experience with using digital ID to get through TSA?

Here's mine: I accidentally left my physical ID behind when I took a flight from DEN to LAX. Fortunately I live in one of the few states that supports Apple's digital ID, I had already added it to my digital wallet, and both these airports happen to be among the 2 dozen that support digital ID.

At DEN, the TSA agent didn't know how to screen me, and had me wait awhile to the side for another agent who knew how to take digital IDs. At LAX, the agent seemed annoyed when I presented my digital ID, and told me I needed to have physical ID. When I said I didn't have it, and that TSA had accepted my digital ID at DEN, he scowled and questioned me a couple times about whether I really didn't have physical ID. Then he had me wait awhile for another agent. When he eventually showed, he gamely tried a few times to scan my ID but got confused on what to do. He called a 3rd agent who thankfully easily took my ID.

FWIW, once you have an agent who knows what to do, it's as easy as using Apple Pay.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
Tried the new California digital ID without success in Los Angeles. I had the opportunity to use it the week before Labor Day with the TSA at LAX in Terminal 5. Basically a total failure 😨 . TSA would not recognize it nor would they accept it. They still required a physical government issued photo ID (typically a driver license or a passport).

• Angry
Reactions: BostonQuad
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.