Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miatadan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
Sudbury,ON , Canada
Hi

New to this forum:

This is what I want to do:
Use home cd player ( Rega ) digital out (toslink) to connect to digital in (toslink) on a Intel Mac Mini , in real time and record as a AIFF file.
Do not want to use built in drive.

I intend to play back music using itunes and output signal using digital out to feed out board Dac ( McIntosh MDA1000 dac/preamp ).

Thanks
Dan

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Umm, OK, that should work -- you'll need a program of some description to capture the incoming (digital) audio to a file on disk. GarageBand, SpinDoctor, Final Vinyl, Audacity or some such.

Unless your CD is broken in the Mac, though, what is your anticipated benefit of doing this - vs. copying or ripping directly from the CD?

I thought of one reason - if you have Mini-CDs or business card CDs and a Mac with a slot-loading drive.

howesey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2005
I cannot see why you would want to do this. It would sound worse doing it this way than using your Mac CD/DVD ROM drive. Just an example, your CD player does not output a clock, so you'll get jitter errors. There are many more factors but I wont go into detail.

howesey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2005
If you insert a red book CDA into your Mac Mini, the CD volume will mount, and the music files in the volume will show as AIFF files. Just copy paste them to your HDD.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
howesey said:
your CD player does not output a clock, so you'll get jitter errors.
if he's recording digital out to digital in, it's probably s/pdif format, which does indeed carry clock information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.