Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
There's been a few articles lately about Digital owner ship just being a long term rental. More so from Christopher Nolan whose pushing the 4K release of Oppenheimer.

I even found a court case from 2021 about this but never found out how it was concluded.

Apple faces lawsuit over its iTunes 'buy' buttonEngadgethttps://www.engadget.com › apple-lawsuit-itunes-buy-...

Does anyone know?

I've found the below text from Apples terms

"Purchased Content will generally remain available for you to download, redownload, or otherwise access from Apple. Though it is unlikely, subsequent to your purchase, Content may be removed from the Services (for instance, because the provider removed it) and become unavailable for further download or access from Apple. To ensure your ability to continue enjoying Content, we encourage you to download all purchased Content to a device in your possession and to back it up."

This would indicate to me that provided we have it downloaded then it is ours to keep forever! BUT in order to watch them they have to be authorised by our apple ID.. so what happens if iTunes shut down, in theory we would then lose our collections or more so if the license was pulled from iTunes, how would they then authorise us to play it?

its got me re thinking physical media.. although that's on its way out so not exactly a long term solution for future new releases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.