Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 26, 2001
I have noticed that although apple has great hardware, they do not have a great "hardware package".

Surely with their digital hub dream taking shape a "digital package" would be a good idea seeing as it actually makes a digital hub for the consumer and devices which stem off it. As opposed to individual items just grouped together.

If they marketed this it would be a good selling point.

could consist of different devices depending on what the average consumer would want.

(or have is apple already doing this)

[Edited by spikey on 10-30-2001 at 03:06 PM]

sweetaction

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2001
seattle, wa
package

I would like to see Apple come out with a Digitial Recording Studio. Of course, anyone using ProTools goes Apple. I think it would be hot is Apple offered a "iStudio" with everyhting you need bundled. Throw in some iPods to send your clients out with rough mixes of their songs to share with friends and potential labels. I think that would be amazing. Word.

Aaron

sweetaction

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2001
seattle, wa
package

I would like to see Apple come out with a Digitial Recording Studio. Of course, anyone using ProTools goes Apple. I think it would be hot is Apple offered a "iStudio" with everyhting you need bundled. Throw in some iPods to send your clients out with rough mixes of their songs to share with friends and potential labels. I think that would be amazing. Word.

Aaron

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Digital Audio Studio... yeah!!!!

That would be the best, Protools is too cmplicated, Digital Performer is ok, but the new interface sucks big time, and the worst thing is that Emagic and Logic doesn't want to named or look the same so there are no standarts with the interfaces.

I use Sound Edit 16 big time, because is easy. It just need to have cross fade and that is it!.
Apple should do something about audio editing, just because tekas less ram and less hd space. Can you imagine to do a radio sopera?

Apple needs better audio outputs (and imputs), the sound is so poor, when I conect the Audio Media 3 to the speakers iTunes is something really different.

And I said in another post. Quick Time Midi Sounds should be impruved.

Apple should impruve the audio of the computers big time. It is cheap, it is effective and they just have to do it once every 5 years or so.

And where is the EQ in the iPod????????????????

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
actually a bundle would not be beneficial for a business like apple. the company is too small to take such a risk with bundling different items. the market just isn't big enough for all the products together. most people say:i just want a computer. these are the ones that want an imac.

and besides, if they bundled things together, it would be just like ordering multiple items from the apple store: the prices just add up together.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
bundles

several money saving bundles and packages aimed at different customers would be great; recording studio with G4 and a recording software title with or without iPod, iBook with iPod, iMac with iPod, etc...

spikey, you should work for apple if you are willing to live in this pit we call the silicon valley...it is enough to make a techie forswear electricity and go live in a cave in Big Sur

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
turnkey

Yeah, there are tons of turnkey solution sellers, but they usually cost mor ethan the sum of the parts and very often have a bunch of extra stuff you don't need or want. I've set up a bunch of DV editing workstations and I also find it easier to just buy the specific pieces that are needed.
I think what was being sought here originally is that Apple would offer discounted systems configured for different purposes and so you get just what you need and save a few bucks that way. But hey, doesn't the Apple Store already offer this option online?

akuma

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2001
Re: turnkey

Originally posted by SPG
Yeah, there are tons of turnkey solution sellers, but they usually cost mor ethan the sum of the parts and very often have a bunch of extra stuff you don't need or want. I've set up a bunch of DV editing workstations and I also find it easier to just buy the specific pieces that are needed.
I think what was being sought here originally is that Apple would offer discounted systems configured for different purposes and so you get just what you need and save a few bucks that way. But hey, doesn't the Apple Store already offer this option online?
Costing more is definately true, and in the back of my dv or film and video mags I always see systems that look good (video wise) but mostly offer things that I would probably never use/need (like you said). I wouldn't buy a turnkey system unless I had major bucks and/or a studio backing me.

The only thing that (I think) apple offers are custom builds to their configs, not necessarily 3rd party add ons. But that would be a nice feature, to add (hint hint apple).

DannyZR2

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2001
Texas
Tha's my plan

"Spikey, you should work for apple if you are willing to live in this pit we call the silicon valley...it is enough to make a techie forswear electricity and go live in a cave"

Hopefully one day in the next 5 years, I will be with Apple, working with some of the most creative people in the world. Don't laugh but that is actually one of my dreams.

I'm 20 now, so hopefully, when I finish school, they will look at me.

benmac

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2001
Brussels (Belgium)
Re: Tha's my plan

Originally posted by DannyZR2
"Spikey, you should work for apple if you are willing to live in this pit we call the silicon valley...it is enough to make a techie forswear electricity and go live in a cave"

Hopefully one day in the next 5 years, I will be with Apple, working with some of the most creative people in the world. Don't laugh but that is actually one of my dreams.

I'm 20 now, so hopefully, when I finish school, they will look at me.

My dream is to replace Jobs some day (not too soon hopefully...)!

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
replacing jobs

in 1998 and 1999, there was no talk of replacing steve jobs

but after the fall of apple's market share from 10% down to 5 or 6% and falling stock, people have called for the woz to come back but he is no more a business man than jobs

so there is nothing wrong with dreaming of working for apple, just visit silicon valley first and see if you like the area...if you can tolerate it, then come work your way up and become CEO of apple

if you do, we will know that you started here with us at macrumors and we can bash you on the message boards like we do to poor stevie boy

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 26, 2001
I dont disrespect steve really, he is one of few computer geek CEO people who have imagination and an eye for revolutionary products.
the other people being Woz and Shigeru miyamoto.

also i know for a fact that there is a huge market of free lance workers who need a small office package for their work.

I couldnt really hack working for a big company, im not good at working to deadlines or following timetables and i certainly dont enjoy it. And normally working for a big company means wearing a suit and tie which i find a bit restricting around my throat and chest area.
However i would like to have the power to whip intel t*l their testacles bleed. :eek:

[Edited by spikey on 11-03-2001 at 12:58 PM]

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 26, 2001
But the idea of a package and in particular a "digital package" would be that each part is made for each other....like ipod is made for a mac. This would make it easy to use.
Also the same aesthetic genre would be carried throughout the package i.e brushed metal with colored transparent plastic.
And there is an oppurtunity for deals on each package.

Honestly i think its only a matter of time till apple sell their products in this way.

Buggy

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2001
Canada
I loved sound edit 16. Great program, easy to use!

I don't think they have any plans to continue with it. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.