Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xli_ne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
Center of the Nation
I just got my future father-in-law to purchase a powerbook this week. All is well but his sony voice recorder saves in some stupid .msv format that I can't get the mac to play. It can see the voice recorder fine, just can't play the sound files.
Anywho, does anyone have any good ideas for voice recorders that work fine with a mac? Mostly save in a .mp3 format i guess.

Montecito

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2006
Willamette Valley, Oregon
Olympus makes some good ones

xli_ne said:
I just got my future father-in-law to purchase a powerbook this week. All is well but his sony voice recorder saves in some stupid .msv format that I can't get the mac to play. It can see the voice recorder fine, just can't play the sound files.
Anywho, does anyone have any good ideas for voice recorders that work fine with a mac? Mostly save in a .mp3 format i guess.

I was just researching this and found Olympus tends to support Macs better than others. Their DS-2 and DM-10 are supposed to be particularly good, and according to their website support OS X.

DS-2 -- about $150 retail.
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1153&fl=4

DM-10 -- about $179 retail. Cheaper online.
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=920

There are some complaints, however. According to reviews on Amazon, users may not have much success converting the sound to text files (which Dragon SpeakingNaturally apparently does quite well on PCs; Macs have the iListen application option).

I see it's been a while since you posted your question, but perhaps this could help.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I love my Olympus voice recorder even though it doesn't support any computer. Compact and easy to use, it tends to handle things pretty well and being all digital, it goes a long time on each set of batteries.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.