Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
Hello,

I have some old Super8 tapes I would like to digitise at home. I have the original Sony camera, which has a/v output - I believe originally designed to connect to a TV. I have the RFU-85 adapter, with audio in/out and video in/out connections - I believe it can use a composite cable.

I am trying to figure out the best/most cost effective way to connect to my desktop to capture the video. I have a 2012 i7 Mac Mini (it has USB and Firewire as possible inputs?). Any recommendations on what sort of adapter I might need?

Does anyone also have recommendations on what software I should use to then capture the video?

thanks!

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Elgato sells both analog (composite) and digital video capture hardware and software that works well on a mac.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Elgato sells both analog (composite) and digital video capture hardware and software that works well on a mac.

I wonder how well that will hold video sync with audio.

The question is how much to you want to spend to do this. Firewire and thunderbolt don't play nice without a converter.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
I've captured hours and hours of video, both composite and HDMI. Never noticed a sync issue. In the old days USB was not fast enough to support good quality video capture, so firewire was used. Now days USB 3 is certainly fast enough for real time 1080P 30fps.

Reactions: dandeco

rajs

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2004
Hello,

I have some old Super8 tapes I would like to digitise at home. I have the original Sony camera, which has a/v output ...

Can you share the exact model of Sony camera you have -- as it may well have an ieee1394 (iLink / firewire) connector on it. If that is the case -- you are in luck as you would already have the converter tech built into your camera and you'd be able to transfer over in the best quality possible to your Mac. Take a look at this post by me from some time ago. Again depends on the model of camera / camcorder you have.

FYI -- Ive been able to do above technique for quite a few years MacOS High Sierra to Monterrey. Has been done using iMac 27 2011 (i7 CPU), MacBook Air 2011, Mac mini (M1 CPU), MacBook Pro (M1Pro CPU).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.