Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Big Stevie

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Can anyone explain the best way of copying over an audio cassette to my MacBook M1 please?

Does the M1 have a microphone port? I can only see on circular port and I assumed that was for headphones?

Would I need an app to convert the audio?

Thanks.

makinao

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2009
Tape deck > audio interface > computer > audio recorder/editor app (like Audacity).

Big Stevie

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Thanks, do you know if the usb-c ports on my MacBook act as an 'audio in' or mic? Does the circular port on my M1 act as both mic and headphone?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Thanks, do you know if the usb-c ports on my MacBook act as an 'audio in' or mic? Does the circular port on my M1 act as both mic and headphone?
No and no.

You will need a USB audio adapter with both IN and OUT ports. I haven't seen an inexpensive USB-C equipped device like that but there are plenty USB-A models you can use with an adapter or hub…such as this one:

Big Stevie

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
UK
No and no.

You will need a USB audio adapter with both IN and OUT ports. I haven't seen an inexpensive USB-C equipped device like that but there are plenty USB-A models you can use with an adapter or hub…such as this one:

Thank you.

I'm guessing doing the following should work..

3.5mm mic cable plugged into the cassette players headphone port, and the other end plugged into a USB audio adapter such as the one below (UK), and then run an app such as Audacity?

Screenshot 2022-03-25 at 15.00.46.png

Or....some research suggests I could buy one of these cassette players that accepts a USB drive to record directly onto...

Screenshot 2022-03-25 at 15.16.54.png

Screenshot 2022-03-25 at 15.17.08.png

Last edited:

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
Thank you.

I'm guessing doing the following should work..

3.5mm mic cable plugged into the cassette players headphone port, and the other end plugged into a USB audio adapter such as the one below (UK), and then run an app such as Audacity?

View attachment 1980563

Or....some research suggests I could buy one of these cassette players that accepts a USB drive to record directly onto...

View attachment 1980580

View attachment 1980581
I can't comment on the MYPIN device, but the UGREEN interface is not likely what you want. It has only mono microphone input. It is stereo only for output.

Something like this Pyle mixer would provide AUX level stereo input: https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-2-Chann...8c440b&pd_rd_wg=4t6Mu&pd_rd_i=B003CY6OHY&th=1

Big Stevie

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
UK
The cassette content I want to transfer contains a radio interview with a relative many years ago, which I want to preserve. Would stereo still be required for this?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
The cassette content I want to transfer contains a radio interview with a relative many years ago, which I want to preserve. Would stereo still be required for this?
Maybe! Even if the cassette was recorded in mono the audio signal may be stronger on one side of the tape than the other. If you have a stereo playback machine you can pick the Right or Left output for your computer recording depending on which sounds better. I've experienced this myself. One side loud and clear and the other side muffled and lots of hiss.

makinao

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2009
Do you have a cassette tape player? What type is it? A deck with RCA plugs? Or a portable with 1/8" stereo headphone outputs?

Big Stevie

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Do you have a cassette tape player? What type is it? A deck with RCA plugs? Or a portable with 1/8" stereo headphone outputs?
No, I don't own one, but I will be buying one for this purpose. Which connections would be preferable?

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
No, I don't own one, but I will be buying one for this purpose. Which connections would be preferable?
It depends on what audio interface you end up with.

The best combo would be a cassette deck with stereo AUX level outputs and an audio interface that has AUX level stereo inputs.

Reactions: Big Stevie

makinao

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2009
If this is all you want to transfer, the Mypin might work. But if you're transferring A LOT of tapes and want better audio quality, you'll need:

1) Tape deck with RCA-type line-level outputs like this https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Cassett...ords=cassette+tape+deck&qid=1648308377&sr=8-3

2) a couple of these to RCA to 1/4" plug them into #3 https://www.amazon.com/VCE-6-Pack-6...=1648308529&sprefix=rca+to+1/4,aps,393&sr=8-3

2) USB audio interface like a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QR73T66?tag=homestudior0d-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
The cheapest USB audio interface with stereo input I've seen is one of these:

It has RCA plugs (left and right) for both input and output. If your cassette player has a stereo 3.5mm (1/8") jack you'd just need something like this:

61UDD4VGEmL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.