Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pm_cu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2017
I wonder if a lot of people are running into this dilemma. the iPhone 12 is out, and AT&T offers up to 700 in trade-in value for the iPhone 8/X or newer, and 350 in value for the iPhone 7 or older. So it seems that release, they would relegate the iPhone 8/X to the 350$ tier. Does that mean this is currently the best time to trade in an iPhone X?

I have an iPhone X that works flawlessly, and was thinking of upgrading later in 2021, but if waiting for an additional 7 months means losing $350 in trade value, that inaction seems a steep cost to pay...

Would love to hear everyone's opinion on this as we ponder...

B_mark_R

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2017
Maybe upgrade to the 12 now and take advantage of the $700 trade in. Then if you need the 13 trade in your 12 to apple and get $500 off.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I wonder if a lot of people are running into this dilemma. the iPhone 12 is out, and AT&T offers up to 700 in trade-in value for the iPhone 8/X or newer, and 350 in value for the iPhone 7 or older. So it seems that release, they would relegate the iPhone 8/X to the 350$ tier. Does that mean this is currently the best time to trade in an iPhone X?

I have an iPhone X that works flawlessly, and was thinking of upgrading later in 2021, but if waiting for an additional 7 months means losing $350 in trade value, that inaction seems a steep cost to pay...

Would love to hear everyone's opinion on this as we ponder...

The problem is we don't know what new features the 12s model will bring, other than possibly more efficient modem (battery life). Traditional CPU speed improvement.

I could have kept my X for longer 13 months ago. Waited until the battery got even worse. But I did it earlier rather than later for the tradein value from Apple.

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
Do you want the 12? Trade it in.
Are you not enticed? Keep the X.

Don’t over-complicate it. Make your decision based on what is, not what might be. Could play the waiting game for all eternity.

Reactions: MacCheetah3

pm_cu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2017
Thank you everyone for the advice, I've decided to make the trade in now rather than wait for what may be :)

Reactions: tt061282
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.