Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
What would be the best dimensions to design an book, for viewing (vertically) on the iPad. I know that iPads have changed dimensions through the years, so what would be the best dimensions in order to cover viewing from the first iPad to the latest.

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
I would recommend starting off here:

From what I’ve read previously you don’t set up your book for a specific size, the device scales the book accordingly to the screen size.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
This scaling though doesn't it affect geometrical elements that might be placed inside? For example a circle?

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
This scaling though doesn't it affect geometrical elements that might be placed inside? For example a circle?

It would all depend on how you are making the book / content.

What process are you using?

Herbert123

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
All iPad screens, from the very first version to the latest ones, have a 3/4 aspect ratio.

Therefore, scaling does not affect content size proportions. A circle remains a circle when scaled.

As for resolution: a good base resolution would be 1536x2048. (newer models do sport higher resolutions, but in terms of bitmap graphics file sizes and sharpness still a good tradeoff)

What kind of book are you considering to create? Which output format - epub? Fixed layout or reflowable?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.