Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TsuaSai

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2006
TX
Last night when I was using my Ibook G4 the screen was dimming a little. It would dim just a bit for a few seconds. It not go black or anything. But dim about 30% or so. The whole screen would be even. There was nothing consistent about it as far as I can tell it was nothing I was doing. Just would happen everyonce in a while. I am not really sure what this would be. I was plugged into the wall and the battery is changed. It was almost as if I was running on a low battery.

So I am wondering if this is common? Is this maybe a video card going out? I have never had this happen so please for give me for my noobness. I searched around but didn't see anything right off hand that look like the same problem.

I know its just the interent and you can't see it. But if there is anymore info I can give just ask for it and I will do my best.

Also my iBook has never been dropped so there is not visible damage.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
TsuaSai said:
Last night when I was using my Ibook G4 the screen was dimming a little. It would dim just a bit for a few seconds. It not go black or anything. But dim about 30% or so. The whole screen would be even. There was nothing consistent about it as far as I can tell it was nothing I was doing. Just would happen everyonce in a while. I am not really sure what this would be. I was plugged into the wall and the battery is changed. It was almost as if I was running on a low battery.

So I am wondering if this is common? Is this maybe a video card going out? I have never had this happen so please for give me for my noobness. I searched around but didn't see anything right off hand that look like the same problem.

I know its just the interent and you can't see it. But if there is anymore info I can give just ask for it and I will do my best.

Also my iBook has never been dropped so there is not visible damage.

The new MacBook automatically dimms to 70% when the plug is pulled out. Perhaps your powersupply is not stabile. Otherwise it may be the screen itself. I find it very unlikely that it is the video card...:confused:

TsuaSai

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2006
TX
Its not dimming and staying dim. Its flashing dim for maybe a second or two. Then it coming back. Might be a few second and it will flash again or it might be a few minutes.

The only consistent thing its doing is that it only stays dim for a few second.

Also this is all happening while I am working on it.

My screen does dim after 5 minutes of not being used. But this is different since I am using it and its just flashes.

TsuaSai

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2006
TX
Eidorian said:
Sounds like dying or flaky cathodes.

Thanks. I will google that and see if i can figure out what it is and see if that is maybe the problem.

Thanks again.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
no it wont, the backlight can be replaces separately, it's just a little tricky.

TsuaSai

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2006
TX
Honestly if my LCD goes out then I will probably trash it and start over with something else. Could probably get another G4 pretty cheap now that the iBooks are in. Until something like that happens not sure how long it will last. But i will just ride it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.