Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1970mgbgt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2015
My sister's husband is snooping on all her texts and emails through their iCloud account. She was so outraged she wants to stop using iCloud altogether (I don't blame her. It's the mark of the beast, or at least the Hotel CA - you can check in, but you can't check out).

Is there a way to directly backup her iPhone 6S to an external drive, without going through iTunes (which sends everything to the freakin Cloud!)? Can she just plug the iPhone into a drive and download her messages, email, music, etc.? Does she have to use their shared laptop as an intermediate step?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What's the issue with iCloud though, out of curiosity? It's not like others have access to it since it's all password protected and can have additional security features like 2 factor authentication.

1970mgbgt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2015
They've already been hacked once, and I don't like that after you sign up, you can't wipe yourself from their system EVER. Of course, all the Big Data corps are the same. I just refuse to take part as an issue of safety, and for moral reasons.

In my sister's case, all she can do is log out of iCloud and not add anything new to it that her nosy husband, who is all about controlling her, can use to manipulate her.

So, do you think that there is a way to directly backup her iPhone to hard drive, or must she do it through another device (iPad, laptop)?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
They've already been hacked once, and I don't like that after you sign up, you can't wipe yourself from their system EVER. Of course, all the Big Data corps are the same. I just refuse to take part as an issue of safety, and for moral reasons.

In my sister's case, all she can do is log out of iCloud and not add anything new to it that her nosy husband, who is all about controlling her, can use to manipulate her.

So, do you think that there is a way to directly backup her iPhone to hard drive, or must she do it through another device (iPad, laptop)?
There are probably some applications that would allow for at least some sort of backup like that (perhaps iBackupbot or something similar). That said, I believe iTunes can be used for local encrypted backup purposes without any iCloud involvement.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Is there a way to directly backup her iPhone 6S to an external drive, without going through iTunes (which sends everything to the freakin Cloud!)? Can she just plug the iPhone into a drive and download her messages, email, music, etc.? Does she have to use their shared laptop as an intermediate step?
There's no way to back up to a disk, but using iTunes, backups can be encrypted with a password that's independent of anything else.
https://support.apple.com/HT205220
iTunes does not "send everything to the freakin Cloud", BTW.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.