Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
This title is gonna ROCK. The more time I spend with the demo the more I like it. Demo is at 720p, but I heard the release will be at 1080p and include uncompressed 7.1 surround sound. All I really want is an on-line time keeping system that allows me to compete with other drivers around the world. You really don't need to have other cars on the tarmac at the same time to get the thrill of competition. Beating the record time for a stage can be just as gratifying.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Quite fun. Played it on both the PS3 and 360 and I like the rally mode they included in place of the hill climb.

TantalizedMind

Suspended
Feb 5, 2007
I've played both demos also (360/PS3). I must say I was disappointed in the PS3 version. Just like all the multi-platform games out now.. the PS3 version falls behind the 360 version in graphics and sound.

360's versions of games have been better than the PS3 versions. Hopefully that will change soon! My 2nd 360 died yesterday and I'm fighting with M$ to take it in for repairs, for free.

With all this run-around, waste of money, waste of time..... my heart goes out to Nintendo and Sony. I'm tired of Microsoft on EVERY LEVEL.

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
Anybody else notice that the handling and steering in DiRT feels a lot different from racing sims like Gran Turismo and Forza?
Is there any reason for this?

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Anybody else notice that the handling and steering in DiRT feels a lot different from racing sims like Gran Turismo and Forza?
Is there any reason for this?

I would call this an arcade racer with some Sim feel. Which is what i would call Forza too :p "Forza is for 14 year olds that like to think they can tune a car, while Gran Tourismo is for people that actually understand cars (gearheads) and the physics and engineering behind them (wrenches)".

Gran Tourismo is the only "real/true" driving sim out there for this generation though F1 CE does a great job at being a true racing sim too. That said i can't wait for GT Prologue, and although more of an "arcade" racer I will more than likely pick up DIRT too since i love racing games.

Ed

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Played both versions on the 360 & PS3

They're identical in looks. Literally side by side you would not know the difference.

However... the PS3 does 'seem' to have a smoother framerate, not 100% sure about it though - might be subjective.

7.1 suround.. Well I only have 5.1 DTS/DD surround so that makes no difference to me.

----

I still think the handling is too slippy. I'm still awaiting a 'rallisport challenge 3' announcement to make me happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.