Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Per the title…

2023 13" M2 MacBook Pro running Sonoma 14.1. Connection is via a VPN using AFP. For background, I was using SMB but the NAS at work had all four hard drives fail in November and it took IT a month to fix. They updated the VPN and now SMB isn't stable when copying to/from Finder, moving files from Finder, etc.

My problem is that inside apps (such as Photoshop, QuarkXPress, Illustrator, etc) when I go to save, save as or open, almost any app I am in wants to update files and folders and fetch icon previews over the network. It can take a few moments before I can actually save or open a file while all this updating/fetching is going on.

I was able to disable it on my side with SMB, but I can't seem to find anything for AFP.

To clarify (hopefully), I am not talking about icon or file previews in Finder. All that stuff is already disabled. I just can't seem to disable it within Open/Save dialogue boxes.

Is this possible or am I stuck with it?

PS. I do not administer the NAS at work, so any changes have to be client side (my Mac).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.