Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lachla-nnn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2024
Recently my phone had some minor water damage, I pulled it apart and dried it but ever since the off button has been going crazy turning the device off when I didn’t press it. Is there any way of disabling input from the button?

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Recently my phone had some minor water damage, I pulled it apart and dried it but ever since the off button has been going crazy turning the device off when I didn’t press it. Is there any way of disabling input from the button?
I don't think so. It's essential to the functionality of the phone so it wouldn't make sense to let people disable it.

Reactions: chabig

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
If you disabled the button, there would be no way to turn on an unpowered iPhone.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
If you disabled the button, there would be no way to turn on an unpowered iPhone.
And there would be no way to force restart it, which is necessary in case it hangs. So OP, this isn’t possible.

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
Wouldn't adding "assistive touch" to Screen be useful in lieu of? ( Settings>accessiblity>touch>assistive touch )

Last edited:

lachla-nnn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2024
If the phone is powered off i can plug it in to turn it on and I can use assistive touch to turn it off

Teletypewriter

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2021
You can turn your phone case around so it covers up the power button. You will then have to uncover the volume buttons on the left side of the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.