Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kowalsky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Hi!

I love using the Magic mouse scrolling for large lists of folders and files in Finder, and for scrolling in web sites, but I really HATE the way scrolling ruins my work with Adobe Illustrator, specially when working with several docs that share the same size and I change from one to another to make adjustements. I always keep moving the entire art board when I don't want to.

I know I can completely disable the scroll of the Magic Mouse in System Preferences, but... is there a way of keeping the scroll of Magic Mouse active and disable it ONLY for some specific applications?

Thanks a lot!

Edit: I'm using MacOs 10.15 Catalina and Adobe Illustrator 25.4.6

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
No way to do disable scrolling on a per-app basis using Apple's Magic Mouse that I know of. But I know you can do this if you were using a Logitech MX Pro and Logi Software.

Reactions: kowalsky

kowalsky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Thanks for the reply. I had no plans in getting a Logitech mouse, but I will check them.
The truth is although almost everyone hates the Magic Mouse I love it and have no problems with it other than excessive sensibility of the tactile area in some apps.

I hope there is an app to fix this issue.
Or maybe Adobe makes a preference button for deactivating the Magic Mouse scrolling features in their apps.

f54da

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2021
Sure, just combine an NSWorkspace didActivateApplication notification and a call to private PreferencePanesSupport framework to enable/disable scrolling as you switch apps. You'll have to dig around to find which class's shared-instance is responsible for magic mouse gestures. For magic trackpad it's MTTGestureBackEnd but not sure if that works for MM as well.

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Ah yesss, finally!
The almighty BetterTouchTool is the solution once again.
It lets you (App-specific) disable scrolling on the Magic Mouse completely or only for horizontal scrolling.
It's not free though but offers so many useful tweaks.
I'm in no way affiliated to the app, just an extremely happy customer.
Although in German, the screenshot should help find the appropriate setting.

Attachments

• BTT.Magic.Mouse.scrolling.jpg
    BTT.Magic.Mouse.scrolling.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:

f54da

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2021
Fancy, wasn't aware it could do that. I guess it's doing it the other way where it intercepts the scroll event and prevents it from being delivered to the app instead of toggling it globally on app switch. BTT's way is probably cleaner anyhow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.