Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

odedidush

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Hi ,

My iPhone 7 is synchronized to the work email(outlook-office 2016 installed on Dell pc with OS win-10).

On weekends I receive emails and notifications and I want to disable the option to receive them.

it is not possible to disable the e-mail synchronization automatically via outlook itself.

How do I disable Outlook sync on weekends via iPhone?

Can I also disable synchronization even on late hours on weekdays ? maybe by define hours for synchronization ?

my iPhone software version is : 11.0.3(15A432).

Thanks in advanced.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Are you using the Outlook app for iOS or the native iOS mail app? Either way I do not think it is possible to do what you are asking. At least not exactly. First you might want to restrict notifications to focused inbox only. Then perhaps create a mailbox rule in the Outlook web interface that moves mail that arrives on the weekend (if that’s even an option) to a special folder. That might keep the messages from triggering iOS notifications.

odedidush

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Hi,
i'm using native iOS mail app(not external app).
i know that at android it is possible to define synchronization hours .
isnt it possible also in iOS?

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Hi,
i'm using native iOS mail app(not external app).
i know that at android it is possible to define synchronization hours .
isnt it possible also in iOS?

I don't think you can do that with either the iOS mail app or the Outlook app. There may be other mail apps for iOS that let you fetch on a defined schedule like that.

It doesn't look like Outlook (2016 or Web version) lets you set rules based on day of the week either. I think your best option is to look for a third party mail app that supports your service (either using Exchange/ActiveSync or IMAP) and allows you to specify synchronization hours/days. I'm not aware of any, but I'm sure they exist. Another feature to look for would be a more customizable notification feature. AirMail is an app that advertises "Smart Notifications" so you are only notified about messages you care about. This could end up being a bit like the Outlook app's Focused inbox (see below) so you might have to train it to recognize messages you care or don't care about.

Are these real work-related emails you get on the weekend, or does your work email get a lot of spam? If it's the latter, perhaps a solution is to adjust Outlook's spam filter to be more aggressive. Another option is to switch to the Outlook app and enable the Focused Inbox and receive notifications only for email threads you are part of, or messages from people you usually correspond with.

This makes me glad I don't have have email notifications enabled. I do have a job where I am required to be reachable on the weekend in case of an emergency, but we use Slack more than email these days. Slack allows me to customize notifications by channel (a kind of category) and by search words. I only get notifications if someone posts to our Alerts channel, or if someone posts a message that contains one of the search words or phrases in my list.

Sean

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.