Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chip1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2014
dear all,

My mac mini late 2012 has been upgraded to Mac OS X El Capitan. Yet recently when I tried to configure the resolution via switchresx, the system said that the system integrity protection of El Capitan prevents such act. So I started up the mac mini pressing command r and enter the recovery mode. And enter "csrutil disable" in terminal. But was responded by a message "command not found". Any advice?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 1,685
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 1,321

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Your recovery partition is out of date. How did you install El Capitan?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Your recovery system (the utilities window that you posted) appears to be Mountain Lion.
Look at the icon for Reinstall OS X. It shows the icon used for Mountain Lion.
El Capitan would show a multi-colored X
Plus the window widgets (red, green, yellow buttons in the top left corner) are wrong for El Capitan.
And, the csrutil command does not exist in a Mountain Lion system.

So, if you have upgraded to El Capitan, and that install somehow missed the Recovery partition. You will need to fix that if you want to disable SIP.
The Recovery Partition should update itself if you simply reinstall OS X.

Download the El Capitan installer app from the App Store.
best choice is to Quit the installer after it completes the download, then create a bootable flash drive for the install. Search for "create bootable installer for El Capitan", or download DiskMakerX, and use that app to create your bootable installer.
Boot to that installer after you have made one. Reinstall El Cap. That should fix your Recovery System partition.
There's other methods for this, but that is what I would do.

If all this does not get you a current Recovery system - Do you have File Vault turned on?
Turn File Vault OFF, then try the El Capitan install again.

Reactions: berlingoodman

berlingoodman

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
Hi there,

This was a really helpful thread to me, as I also had an issue using the csrutil command after I had my hard drive replaced. Indeed, it was because the recovery partition was from an older operating system. After reinstalling a la the bootable USB Drive, all is well. So thanks!

HOWEVER, keep in mind that El Capitan may not reinstall if your computer knows the current date! I persistently received this error message: OS X could not be installed on your computer. No packages were eligible for install.

What you have to do is disconnect your computer from the internet so it doesn't automatically set the date. Then in Terminal, set a date from 2016. Who knew? LOL

These help explain it:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/dnj5l9
Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.