Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xraydoc

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
It doesn't seems like one is able to turn off the scroll-up for widgets, but I'm finding that I'm inadvertently causing it to happen if I put my hand in my jean's pocket. It's not the end of the world, but it's a bit frustrating to look down and not see my standard watch face.

Anyone know of a way to turn off this feature? Doesn't seem like there's a way.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
It doesn't seems like one is able to turn off the scroll-up for widgets, but I'm finding that I'm inadvertently causing it to happen if I put my hand in my jean's pocket. It's not the end of the world, but it's a bit frustrating to look down and not see my standard watch face.

Anyone know of a way to turn off this feature? Doesn't seem like there's a way.
no, doesn't seem you can, plus, moving the crown up brings them up ... it's a nuisance

Reactions: Agile55

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Yeah, this is how I'm accidentally triggering it.
2 ways to enable widgets - seems the GUI folks at Apple are confused ...

I don't use widgets on neither iPhone nor Mac, how do you invoke widgets on the iPhone? is there more than 1 way?

xraydoc

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
2 ways to enable widgets - seems the GUI folks at Apple are confused ...

I don't use widgets on neither iPhone nor Mac, how do you invoke widgets on the iPhone? is there more than 1 way?
I have widgets on my iPhone home screens, but that's a whole different thing than the watch.
If I can't disable them, I'll try to find a way to make it useful, I suppose.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I have widgets on my iPhone home screens, but that's a whole different thing than the watch.
yea, trying that too, I do not use any 3rd party apps and I haven't found a way to rearrange the widgets, and, getting the clock w/date always on top is additionally annoying. I'll play with them for some time longer to find a use case for me ...

xraydoc

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
yea, trying that too, I do not use any 3rd party apps and I haven't found a way to rearrange the widgets, and, getting the clock w/date always on top is additionally annoying. I'll play with them for some time longer to find a use case for me ...
You can tap and hold on one, then you can arrange its order. Enters a jiggle-mode like on the iPhone Home Screen. You can also pin them in to place (the little yellow icon when you long-tap and go into jiggle mode) so they stay put. And the very last one with the three app icons can be customized with different selections. For whatever reason, you can't select just any app to go in there (like I wouldn't mind having the Carrot or Peloton apps on there, but they're not listed as choices), but Apple does have several other options than what comes as default.

Reactions: jz0309

andreyush

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2015
I think they've put those widgets so you can have watch faces without any complications but still have access to the apps you need fast.
Like the snoopy one :D

Reactions: cubodado

cubodado

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2022
Torino
Didn’t find a way that works to order the unpinned widgets (the pinned yes). Maybe a space on the Watch app on the phone to configure widgets (and customized trainings) wouldn’t be bad.

I use them too mainly because my usual face is the (lovely) Snoopy one and has no complications on it.

At first there were no third party widgets for the apps I have, but quickly some arrived.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
no, doesn't seem you can, plus, moving the crown up brings them up ... it's a nuisance
Wow, I just realized this. On an item with such limited UI interaction, dedicating TWO modes to it just seems… dumb.

The amount of teaching callouts/tooltips/whatever you want to call them in the new OS’s just goes to show that Apple kind of fumbled here. There was nothing fundamentally wrong with the ‘old” watchOS. This new one feels like sake for the sake of change, IMO. (Plus, why SO MUCH white backgrounds?)

Reactions: jz0309

Tyse

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2023
There is no way to disable the Widgets on Apple Watch on WatchOS 10.
However, if you go on your iPhone -> Watch App -> Settings -> Screen -> Disable wheel to wake up the watch.

This did the trick for me. No more widgets accidentally opening.
This widgets feature made my watch battery last twice as less, because the screen was "online" 24/7 by just working at the computer, walking, etc.

Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.