Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matthewfromclfs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2018
Hi All,

I've been handed the task to get a MacBook useable for an exam, which means restricting it to within an inch of it's life.
I'm using Profile Manager on Server (Version 5.1.5) and managed to block out System Preferences and all apps apart from Word.
The thing that I'd also like to do is disable the WiFi so that there's no chance of them gaining internet access or using Word's online dictionaries.

I found some advice about adding it as a custom setting to Profile Manager and adding the preference 'com.apple.MCXAirPort' but this didn't work and I feel might be outdated info.

Any help or alternatives would be much appreciated.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi All,

I've been handed the task to get a MacBook useable for an exam, which means restricting it to within an inch of it's life.
I'm using Profile Manager on Server (Version 5.1.5) and managed to block out System Preferences and all apps apart from Word.
The thing that I'd also like to do is disable the WiFi so that there's no chance of them gaining internet access or using Word's online dictionaries.

I found some advice about adding it as a custom setting to Profile Manager and adding the preference 'com.apple.MCXAirPort' but this didn't work and I feel might be outdated info.

Any help or alternatives would be much appreciated.
com.apple.MCXAirPort with the boolean key of DisableAirPort set to true is what works on my systems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.