Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
I would like to disable the "You shut down your computer because of a problem" dialog and never see it again for as long as I use any of my Macs. I am also okay with disabling OSX safe mode entirely if it is necessary to remove this dialog. Does anyone know of any buried setting Terminal setting to disable these?

I am only looking for the commands. I do not need an explanation of OS design, why this is necessary, or anything similar. Thank you in advance. :)

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
You don't see the dialog because you don't use your computer the same way I use mine. :)

It is similar to seeing the USB "eject before disconnecting" dialog. For the first few times, I tried to eject it only to have the OS refuse because a program was using it. I would need to find the specific program, terminal window, etc that was using it so I could safely eject it or I could just pull the USB cable and know that as long as the write process is complete it will be fine.

I want my computer to shut down when I tell it to. Not after every running program approves the shut down, not after I see every other program displaying this dialog, etc. I just want it to shut down, run updates, and power back on without interruptions from applications. The power button is much faster and I've done it hundreds of times (literally) without any problems except OSX itself.

Just to get the rest out of the way. I have talked to people who told me about file system checks, data corruption/integrity, problems with FileVault 2, they haven't seen that issue before (or very often), etc. I just can't find anybody to actually help me with an answer because nobody seems to know.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help. :)

hobycook

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2008
PLEASE, let me know if you find out!!!!

OH EMM GEEEEEE!!!!! (and I HATE that expression), but I need to find a way to stop this! Please, anyone, anything! This is a Macbook Air 1.8Ghz / 4G, I'm trying to finish configuring for a user on our network. These machines are anemic little b&*%^es, and I cannot wait to see them all get old and die. Our standard 10.8.2 build has Office Mac 2011 (which mercifully is not at issue here) and VMware Fusion 5.0.2 with a Win7 VM. Both machines are bound to AD and the Mac is also bound to OD. We have about 50 Mac's running this config but this particular machine has been rebuilt from bare metal three times. All of these 1.8's have resource issues but this one's really GOTTA GO!
Thanks in advance...

Last edited by a moderator:

sungod42

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2013
Macksville
mac aplications canceling shutdown

Yes i believe it is ridiculous for any program to be able to prevent shutdown except for very important tasks like sending files to external HD to prevent corrupting data but otherwise it is infuriating, its like your TV station preventing U turning of your TV, I wish i had an answer but i feel exactly the same about this stupid dumb system design:mad:.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
So, you don't want to save your documents, then? Just let the app quit with unsaved changes?

Any dialog that an app brings up after it's been send a Quit event will tell you something that you either need to know (and click "OK" in acknowledgement) or need to do something about. Particularly if it has the word "problem" in it.

As for holding down the power button, that's just foolhardy. You WILL break something. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but you WILL break something.

You can use the Terminal command:

Code:
shutdown -h now

if you really want to ignore what your computer wants to tell you. Should be easy to wrap that up into something you can double-click.

KeithBSF

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2013
Getting the thread back on topic.
When a crash or panic has happened, the warning on login keeps being shown each subsequent login, until an admin logs in. At that admin login, the admin is provided with details of the crash, and options to send to apple if desired.
Then the login message is no longer shown for any account.
At least, that's what happened to me, and the message is now cleared.
In hindsight, it seems a sensible approach, but at the time, it was very annoying to keep getting that message.
(If it helps, I have my user account set to not have admin privileges, for safety reasons. That is why my normal login was not able to see the details and clear the message).

TechnicalMac

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2020
If you're seeing this warning/report on a Mac Pro 6,1 (Trash can) this is now fixed in macOS Monterey update 12.4:

"Bug fixes – 1 software bug addressed for the 2013 Mac Pro. Sleep wake panic fixed with the 430.120.6.0.0 firmware update."

f54da

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2021
Interesting question. Recall that when kernel panic happens, content is stored to nvram ("aapl,panic-info") so that's how it can be dumped to panic log file.

But I'm curious how the computer distinguishes force shut-down from soft one. Either way, I think maybe the userspace part repsonsible for this is CrashReporter. Too lazy to check older OS version, but in newer one at least there are panic related strings in /System/Library/CoreServices/CrashReportSupport.framework, but I didn't find the resource string for "You shut down your computer" only when the panic occurred and computer restarted by itself. If you can run a find across your entire system to see which resource file contains this, that would give a good place to start digging.

Reactions: Wowfunhappy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.