Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
I'm reading: http://www.apple.com/mobileme/transition.html
Will I be able to keep my MobileMe email address when I move to iCloud?
Yes. If you have an active MobileMe account when you sign up for iCloud, you’ll be able to keep your me.com or mac.com email address and... etc
So.. what about a disabled @me.com account? I used MobileMe for a while, but not recently, and so it was disabled. I was still able to log in though and renew the subscription, until iCloud was introduced.

So what happens when iCloud launches? Will the disabled account just be lost, or will I be able to use it again?

Also, no help here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4440.

Edit:

Solved: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/13575830/

Last edited:

antzona

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2008
California
I'm curious about the same thing. I had my mac.com and me.com email addresses from day one. I refused to pay $99 to renew one day before the June 6th date when icloud was announced, so I canceled my account. I had that email address for eight or nine years, I would like to continue to use it. When I tried to log into the icloud site, it tells me I need to transfer the account from mobileme to icloud. When I try to do that it tells me that my account is no longer active but can be used for other Apple services. Like what? Hopefully icloud. I hate how this whole thing was handled.

antzona

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2008
California
I was just told this by a apple service rep:

"I know you're excited to move to iCloud, we're all excited about it, too! You will be able to use your MobileMe address as the iCloud sign-up AppleID, you just won't be able to use it to receive e-mail at. Does that make sense?"

So the email address I had for years from me.com will no longer work for email although I can log into icloud with it. Great. That is not what I was told when I canceled my mobileme account.

antzona

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2008
California
I just had another chat session and this guy said that I can reactivate my expired me.com email address, but I have to wait until icloud really goes live with ios5 and 10.7.2. I asked him if I could quote him on this and he said yes. We'll see what really happens.

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
So the email address I had for years from me.com will no longer work for email although I can log into icloud with it. Great. That is not what I was told when I canceled my mobileme account.

What you have been told is not correct. I reactivated an old expired AppleId with a me.com suffix and it is able to send and receive email.

jackrv

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
I'm curious about the same thing. I had my mac.com and me.com email addresses from day one. I refused to pay $99 to renew one day before the June 6th date when icloud was announced, so I canceled my account. I had that email address for eight or nine years, I would like to continue to use it. When I tried to log into the icloud site, it tells me I need to transfer the account from mobileme to icloud. When I try to do that it tells me that my account is no longer active but can be used for other Apple services. Like what? Hopefully icloud. I hate how this whole thing was handled.

I am in the exact same boat.

antzona

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2008
California
What you have been told is not correct. I reactivated an old expired AppleId with a me.com suffix and it is able to send and receive email.

Yeah, see my other post? I talked to a different guy this morning and he told me I could use my old me.com address and it would work with email. How did you manage to transfer yours? If I log in to icloud it tells me to transfer the account to icloud, and it sends me to the mobileme site. When I log in there it says my account is canceled and I can't renew it on MobileMe but it will be available for other Apple services. Then I can't do anything.

antzona

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2008
California
I was able to transfer my deactivated MobileMe account to icloud. I would like to talk to the rep I chatted with last night. He was asking me where I heard I could still use my canceled account, and was actually pretty rude about the whole situation. He acted like that was the way it was and I had to accept it. Well, he was actually wrong, and I am in desperate need of a good "I told you so". What is with all the misinformation when it comes to situations like this?

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC

----------

I was able to transfer my deactivated MobileMe account to icloud. I would like to talk to the rep I chatted with last night. He was asking me where I heard I could still use my canceled account, and was actually pretty rude about the whole situation. He acted like that was the way it was and I had to accept it. Well, he was actually wrong, and I am in desperate need of a good "I told you so". What is with all the misinformation when it comes to situations like this?

How were you able to transfer the account?

antzona

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2008
California

----------

How were you able to transfer the account?

I still had IOS4 on my phone. I went in to add a new MobileMe account and logged in with my old account and password. It loaded and set up find my iphone. Then I went to the icloud website and logged in with my @me.com address and password. Now I am updating to IOS5 and 10.7.2

Pushkar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
SW London, UK
My deactivated account works again, although I have lost all my previous emails on MobileMe and Calendar data and everything else that was there.

I can't login to the web interface but I can send and receive email via the Mail App. Seems like you can, hopefully it works.

hassr

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
I was able to enable my expired account by using iOS5. I could not migrate the account through the MobileMe webpage because it said my account had expired.

My @mac.com email account will not receive mail since the account was transferred to icloud.

When a message is sent from the account's webmail the .mac.com address can be used. When a message is sent to the .mac.com address, the message is rejected by the mac.com server with a message from postmaster@mac.com

host mx.mac.com.akadns.net[17.148.17.42] said: 550 5.1.1
unknown or illegal alias: ####@mac.com (in reply to RCPT TO command)

When a message with from the @mac.com address is sent from ios5 the server rejects the message and an iOS error message is displayed.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.