Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smarken

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2007
I have a mac pro with ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB. My main monitor is a 23 inch Apple and my secondary monitor is my TV.

When i am not watching movies (which is most of the time :) ) Id like to be able to turn off the dual display mode without having to yank the cable out of the graphics card.

any ideas?

thanks

Kenneth
Denmark

smarken

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2007
The computer still thinks that my tv is turned on... its only when i yank the actual cable from the graphics card that the display pref.disables the dual display mode. Yanking the cable out of the tv or turning off the tv does not work.

BTW i am using the Apple DVI to Video Adapter for my tv.

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
The computer still thinks that my tv is turned on... its only when i yank the actual cable from the graphics card that the display pref.disables the dual display mode. Yanking the cable out of the tv or turning off the tv does not work.

BTW i am using the Apple DVI to Video Adapter for my tv.

That's because there is current going to your tv to signal the connect to your graphics card.

Just use a switchbox to shut on and off the TV so that no electricity can flow into the TV box thus rendering it completely 'dead'.

smarken

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2007
If I pull the video cable out of the Apple DVI to Video Adapter, so that the Apple DVI to Video Adapter is the only thing connected to the graphics card, the display pref still shows Dual Displays. Its only when I yank the Apple DVI to Video Adapter out of the graphics card that Dual display mode is deactivated.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
If I pull the video cable out of the Apple DVI to Video Adapter, so that the Apple DVI to Video Adapter is the only thing connected to the graphics card, the display pref still shows Dual Displays. Its only when I yank the Apple DVI to Video Adapter out of the graphics card that Dual display mode is deactivated.

yeah there is something in the connector that tells it something is still plugged in. Some how it sends power back into the card. So software is your only option..unless just turning the TV off is enough for you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.