Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eddjedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2011
I got some non-Apple Bluetooth headphones for Christmas. One of the 'features' is activating voice control by holding down one of the buttons. Annoyingly I do this often by accident just by putting them in my ears, and usually end up phoning somebody! I have followed these steps to turn off both Siri and Classic Voice Control:

But it still activates whenever I hold the button on the headphones. Is there really no way to completely turn this feature off?

Stopcallingrandomnumbers

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2020
I‘ve been dealing with the same problem for ages. I‘ve found a strange solution that at least stops the calls. Basically this works if you don‘t use Siri. Initially I went to great trouble to disable Siri as far as possible. So whenever I accidentally pushed the button on my Bluetooth headphones Voice Control would activate. Then I went through all the steps to disable Voice Control. Sadly - at least if you‘re using non-Apple Bluetooth Headphones - Voice Control will still come on if you push the appropriate button on the headphones. Even after you‘ve disabled it. Now for the extremely annoying workaround: Turn Siri on once, then turn it off again straight away. From then on whenever you push the button on your headphones your phone will prompt you to activate Siri, rather than launch Voice Control. Not terribly satisfying but it‘ll stop you randomly calling your college advisor you haven‘t spoken to in a decade at 3 a.m.

eddjedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2011
Haha, thanks for the tip. Unfortunately I need Siri turned on because for some bizarre reason you HAVE to turn it on for CarPlay to work, even though I never use Siri (CarPlay works perfectly fine without Siri, as does your phone!)

I have just learned not to press the buttons any more, handling the headphones on the stalks instead.

Inseltraeumer

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2014
Haha, thanks for the tip. Unfortunately I need Siri turned on because for some bizarre reason you HAVE to turn it on for CarPlay to work, even though I never use Siri (CarPlay works perfectly fine without Siri, as does your phone!)

I have just learned not to press the buttons any more, handling the headphones on the stalks instead.

thanks for the reply. This does seem to work, however, I use my headphones with my phone and my TV, and the Siri-activation-promt stopped appearing after I used my headphones with my TV once and then connected to my phone again. The headphones are pre-BT 5.0 and don't have real multi-device-support, so I actually pair them anew every time I switch devices. I guess that's part of the reason ? Very annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.