Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kennethhede

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2023
Hi everybody!

I'm new here and would really appreciate your advice. My knowledge about hardware and customization is not that good.

My old MacBook Pro from 2015 needs an upgrade, and I am looking at the new MacBook Pro 14'' with M2 Max.

I use my MacBook for a lot of graphic design, video editing and sports analysis. All of them uses some quite heavy software that uses a lot of power. I need my new MacBook to be able to process videos etc. as fast as even possible, and I do really not like lagging or bad performance!

My idea is to (hold on now) upgrade it almost as much as possible:
- M2 Max with 12‑core CPU, 38‑core GPU, 16‑core Neural Engine
- 96GB unified memory
- 4TB SSD storage

The price is not an issue for me (no, I am really not rich), because I am willing to invest in really good performance for the years to come.

But I need your advice: Does this kind of heavy upgrade have any advantages? And if yes (I think it has), which?

What about battery time, heating/cooling problems/too hot cabinet, lifetime performance etc.?

Thank you so much!

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
The biggest concern would be battery life. I have noticed that the battery drains on my M2 Max noticeably faster than my M1 13". I have not run across any issues related to overall performance or heat issues, although having 96GB RAM (instead of the 32GB I run) might make a difference in terms of thermals, but even then it would likely only happen when utilizing most of that RAM.

AlienSexGod

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2008
The only disadvantage is that when you want to upgrade you will lose more on resale and it's very expensive to upgrade to the same. I still have an MBP 16" maxed out i9 CPU 64Gb 8Tb. You will find that in many situations the extra ram won't help much but then there are some apps that use the extra ram but man you can't upgrade it later can you?

No difference in battery time, heating/cooling problems/too hot cabinet, lifetime performance

Reactions: sam_dean

SjoukeW

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2020
Netherlands
I would advise you to look into benchmarks of the software you are using with the new M2 pro and M2 max and look into memory consumption. Those upgrades are really expensive, it would be a waste of money if the software you are using isn't capable of using the extra hardware.

Sterkenburg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Japan
No disadvantage per se, but those upgrades are really expensive. Custom models depreciate worse and offer less bang for the buck than base configs unless you actually need those specs right now. Are you sure you need 96 GB of RAM if you have been getting by with a 2015 model so far?

That said, if money isn't an issue at all, nothing wrong in going for it because you can :)

Macdctr

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
Regarding upgrades, upgrade the CPU and storage to the max and go with 64GB RAM if you choose not to max out the RAM. 96GB RAM is a lot of RAM so if you will never use that much RAM then why spend the extra money for something you will never use? At least you will get the advantage of having the maxed out CPU and for storage you can always use 4TB but you also can't upgrade this later on so max the storage as well.

Just think about how you will be using your Mac throughout your ownership with it to see if it is worth maxing everything or just having just enough RAM that you won't be wasting your money buying too much.

Reactions: sam_dean

sxlx

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2023
I recently purchased the 14-inch M2 Max with a 38 Core GPU upgrade and a 64 GB RAM and 1 GB SSD configuration. However, I have encountered challenges with the short battery life and elevated operating temperatures, which range from 50-65°C during routine web browsing activities.

As a resolution, I intend to initiate a return and exchange the device for the 16-inch model with the same configurations. I have received information that the 16-inch variant operates approximately 10-15°C cooler than the 14-inch model, and benefits from a larger battery and increased fan size.

Reactions: 3Rock

3Rock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2021
I recently purchased the 14-inch M2 Max with a 38 Core GPU upgrade and a 64 GB RAM and 1 GB SSD configuration. However, I have encountered challenges with the short battery life and elevated operating temperatures, which range from 50-65°C during routine web browsing activities.

As a resolution, I intend to initiate a return and exchange the device for the 16-inch model with the same configurations. I have received information that the 16-inch variant operates approximately 10-15°C cooler than the 14-inch model, and benefits from a larger battery and increased fan size.
Did Same with my 14 inch M2 Max. Saw some elevated heat and I wanted to keep a cool system so I exchange it for 16 inch same specs as you are doing. $200 more with a nice wider screen, High Power Mode, little bit better speakers, better overall speed, better thermals. Did like the form factor with the 14” but I keep my computer at home, so no biggie for me of the size.

Last edited:

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Just know that you'll get absolutely HAMMERED on resale values

i.e. you'll get a fraction of it back

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
If you were rich and money were no object, I'd say yeah do it, but instead this is an investment. If a 2015 MBP is even able to get the job done for you right now, I'd say you're going way overboard. Without knowing more of what you need to run, just going from your 2015 machine to a base spec M2 MBP machine is going to give you the biggest leap in performance. The laws of diminishing returns comes at you hard each step up from there.

Consider whether you're even going to benefit from some of those extra specs. External storage also isn't the performance killer it used to be with TB4 speeds.

You might simply be better off going with a more modest machine and upgrading in 4 years instead of stretching it out to 8.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK

50-65c is considered a normal idle temp for the vast majority of systems on the market. My Ryzen 9 desktop idles right around 55-60c, but that's with liquid cooling on the CPU. It will ramp up into the low to mid 80s under load, but that's still well within that chip's TDP of 98c. Looking at my 14" MBP temps right now, I'm seeing 23c on the battery, 37-39c on the CPU cores, and only 23c on the SSD sensor. I doubt that the extra 8 GPU cores are driving the readings you were seeing, because that shouldn't require enough of a wattage increase to account for a 25-30c difference in system temps.

I do remember that on my M1 MBP right after those systems were released, Chrome was notorious for runaway processes (related to the autoupdate service, IIRC) which caused system temps to jump. I ditched Chrome in favor of Brave a while back because of that, so I don't know if it's still an issue or not.

Reactions: Adult80HD

sxlx

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2023
50-65c is considered a normal idle temp for the vast majority of systems on the market. My Ryzen 9 desktop idles right around 55-60c, but that's with liquid cooling on the CPU. It will ramp up into the low to mid 80s under load, but that's still well within that chip's TDP of 98c. Looking at my 14" MBP temps right now, I'm seeing 23c on the battery, 37-39c on the CPU cores, and only 23c on the SSD sensor. I doubt that the extra 8 GPU cores are driving the readings you were seeing, because that shouldn't require enough of a wattage increase to account for a 25-30c difference in system temps.

I do remember that on my M1 MBP right after those systems were released, Chrome was notorious for runaway processes (related to the autoupdate service, IIRC) which caused system temps to jump. I ditched Chrome in favor of Brave a while back because of that, so I don't know if it's still an issue or not.
The state of current CPU research and development has reached a juncture where further advancements are being hindered by the absence of effective cooling and heat management solutions. In light of this, it would have been a more favorable outcome if companies had placed greater emphasis on enhancing the cooling systems of the M1 Max, rather than releasing the M2 Max chip without sufficient modifications. Furthermore, it is essential to note that Chrome and Brave, both widely used browsers, have a common origin, as they are both built upon the Chromium platform.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I'd do the opposite opting for a stock 1TB 14"/16" sell and replace every couple of years. You'll get a better value on resale and a faster upgraded notebook. If your getting by on a 2015 MPB, even the base model Air will be vastly faster in comparison.

As other members have suggested such extensive upgrades do not retain their value. Another factor is the new Mac's are not remotely repairable so any issue related to the Logic Board could easily result in a repair cost of 75% of the purchase price.

Only advantage of such significant upgrades is if your current SW demands or you can monetize the MBP

Q-6

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
I use my MacBook for a lot of graphic design, video editing and sports analysis. All of them uses some quite heavy software that uses a lot of power. I need my new MacBook to be able to process videos etc. as fast as even possible, and I do really not like lagging or bad performance!

If the bold was true, why haven't you upgraded in 8 years?

Your plan only makes sense if you have other, unspecified, plans and requirements - and since they are unspecified it is impossible to pass comment on them.

sxlx

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2023
I'd do the opposite opting for a stock 1TB 14"/16" sell and replace every couple of years. You'll get a better value on resale and a faster upgraded notebook. If your getting by on a 2015 MPB, even the base model Air will be vastly faster in comparison.

As other members have suggested such extensive upgrades do not retain their value. Another factor is the new Mac's are not remotely repairable so any issue related to the Logic Board could easily result in a repair cost of 75% of the purchase price.

Only advantage of such significant upgrades is if your current SW demands or you can monetize the MBP

Q-6
It is imperative to comprehend that for certain individuals, the M2 Max is a necessity rather than a mere desire.

Queen6

macrumors G4
It is imperative to comprehend that for certain individuals, the M2 Max is a necessity rather than a mere desire.
It may well be, but if you have to ask doubtful IMO and experience. If utilising an MBP professionally editing video you'd know, nor hold onto a machine for 8 years.

For $5K you could likely get a Mac Studio and an M2 Air and you'd see a better resale.

Q-6

sxlx

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2023
It may well be, but if you have to ask doubtful IMO and experience. If utilising an MBP professionally editing video you'd know, nor hold onto a machine for 8 years.

For $5K you could likely get a Mac Studio and an M2 Air and you'd see a better resale.

Q-6
Why not steer OP towards the Macbook Air forums for a birds-eye view of all their options? They'll have a blast navigating through the cloud of answers!

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Yeah, but someone getting their work done on a 2015 MBP in 2023 doesn't fit the profile of someone for whom it's a necessity and like with so many things in life, if you're askin it's probably not for you.

Last edited:

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
A disadvantage of being overly invested in a machine today is if it means you lose the flexibility to jump over to the next hot thing in a few years that encodes your videos twice as fast. Don't lock yourself in, keep your options open.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
A disadvantage of being overly invested in a machine today is if it means you lose the flexibility to jump over to the next hot thing in a few years that encodes your videos twice as fast. Don't lock yourself in, keep your options open.

The big performance jump was the Intel-M1 transition itself. Now Apple is in the incremental performance increase stage of Apple Silicon. Also, some people may be looking at the currently available options in terms of longevity and NOT having to replace their system in a few years. That's the approach I took both with my new MBP and the gaming PC I built last fall - get something that will easily last 5+ years without even needing to consider an upgrade versus saving some money now and then essentially paying all over again in 2-3 years when the current equipment starts to show its age.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
But I need your advice: Does this kind of heavy upgrade have any advantages? And if yes (I think it has), which?
The advantages are that you have a fast machine with large amounts of processing and storage capacity. That's really it. If you need the storage, and processing then go for it, if not, then tune your configuration a bit more. I can't say if 96GB is needed but this is the first time I've heard someone doing graphic design and video editing needs so much ram.

How much ram is in your 2015 MBP?

Storage likewise, AFAIK, people who have large storage requirements for video editing use some sort of NAS

I'm not saying you shouldn't get a maxed out MBP, all I'm saying is on what little I know the intended tasks do not seem as such that would require such a hugely configured system - only know for you sure and its your money.

What about battery time, heating/cooling problems/too hot cabinet, lifetime performance etc.?
Going from a Pro to a Max configuration will indeed shorten battery performance by 2 hours, and a larger processor like the Max generates more heat that that Pro does not. The cooling technology and ARM processor is such that we're not talking about scorching heat, but it does get warmer.

The other downside with BTO machines, particularly higher end machines is an inability to re-sell. Many people tend to sell their Macs after a number of years to recoup the investment and help pay for the next Mac. Higher end Macs have a smaller customer base so you'll likely not get as much as you believe by selling. Your intent may not be to sell it, but I'm just pointing out a disadvantage.

sam_dean

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
Hi everybody!

I'm new here and would really appreciate your advice. My knowledge about hardware and customization is not that good.

My old MacBook Pro from 2015 needs an upgrade, and I am looking at the new MacBook Pro 14'' with M2 Max.

My idea is to (hold on now) upgrade it almost as much as possible:
- M2 Max with 12‑core CPU, 38‑core GPU, 16‑core Neural Engine
- 96GB unified memory
- 4TB SSD storage

The price is not an issue for me (no, I am really not rich), because I am willing to invest in really good performance for the years to come.

Thank you so much!
Run with it. Spoil yourself. Do not look back. Show us photos once it arrives so we can like your photo because 99% commenting will never buy one... which includes me!

Reactions: dstew201

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
99% commenting will never buy one
Of course not, because we know that its completely overkill for our needs and spending $5,300 dollars on a laptop that won't be fully utilized is not the best use of our money at least it isn't for me

That configuration has a place for some people, I don't know if graphic design/video editing is such a need but the OP will need to discern this.

Last edited:

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
From watching way too many reviews about the 14/16 M1 MBPs..

It seemed to be the case that if you really needed to upgrade the base 14,
then you should be looking at the 16" instead to get the full value out of those upgrades.

What's the justification for 48GB RAM not being enough?
Especially with the 4TB SSDs read/write @ 6(?)GB/s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.