Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kyanar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2020
I notice that Disagree is limited in how many you can do a day, but Like, Love, all that good stuff you can do as much as you want.

These limits have one purpose - suppress anyone who doesn't agree with everything Apple does no matter how rubbish. If you're going to suppress anyone who doesn't agree with Apple, just don't have reactions at all. Rely on actual textual responses. As it is now, it's just rubbish bias.

Fix your garbage, MR.

Last edited:

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
The reasoning seems obvious to me.

If I say something you agree with, click agree. There's no need to post anything as your opinion is clear - it's the same as mine.

If I say something you disagree with, then why do you disagree? It's better to post something.

Plus, generally, it's better to give people compliments than insults, so it just helps keep down the type of negativity you appear to want.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
You seem like someone who would overuse the disagree button
Exactly! There's nothing wrong with a little disagreement but if someone is just "I hate everything Apple" and wants to be super negative it brings everyone down.

I find most people who use the disagree react don't actually have a reason to disagree but just don't like what I'm saying. I can make a statement like "The M2 MacBook Air is great for light tasks and does what most people buy a computer for". That statement is 100% fact so they can't actually say I'm wrong because they couldn't explain why so they just click the disagree button.

I didn't even know there was a limit but I rarely use it.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
I don't really need a disagree-option, but a rolls-eyes-reaction would be nice for threads or comments like the "Craig Federighi is a joke"-thread I recently saw.

• Haha
Reactions: JM

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
These limits have one purpose - suppress anyone who doesn't agree with everything Apple does no matter how rubbish. If you're going to suppress anyone who doesn't agree with Apple, just don't have reactions at all. Rely on actual textual responses.
lmao

There, are you satisfied?

• Haha

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
There are disagree reactions?

FzufJjw.png

Reactions: Digger148

JW5566

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2021
I don’t have a disagree button. Only sad or angry. is it something you have to pay for?

Me too. Both are next to useless if you simply want to vote for disagreeing with a post. Like if someone posted, MacBooks are utter ****, I would be neither sad or angry, but I would certainly disagree.

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
I never use the 😡 button (emoji) on this site as it isn't a political website and if I disagree with something I simply write my disagreement in a civilize manner. Though even then some people have thin skin to what I write or take it the wrong way. However, that is true in everyday life as no one will always agree in what you have to say or write, if they did it would be a boring world.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
They should change :mad: to 🤔.

It'll look less agressive. Not sure why MR wants people to be and react angrily to things.

I never expressed it in site and forum feedback but I would like to see the 🤔 added as well as a way to let a member know "you have given me something to consider", this should count as a positive on the reaction score.

I don't think we need to remove the angry face, though I rarely use it, I can/could be genuinely angry at someones post/response.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Disagree is only available on news articles, not on member created posts.
Exactly.

It is not available outside of the news articles.

For those who haven't seen it, it is coloured red (by contrast with the "like" emoji, which is blue), and features a "thumbs down" symbol.

Personally, I don't much care for it, but there are some who like the fact that this option is available.

• Haha
Reactions: N69AP and max2

DD88

Suspended
Jun 6, 2022
I don't really need a disagree-option, but a rolls-eyes-reaction would be nice for threads or comments like the "Craig Federighi is a joke"-thread I recently saw.
I think I created that thread, it’s also ironic that I’m probably the best poster on this forum yet my posts are universally “disagreed” upon. I guess people just don’t understand class and brilliance but not everyone can be a genius sadly

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
The trouble is some people use :mad: to show they disagree with a post, other people use it to show they are opposed to the subject of the post. If I respond to your post saying Apple pays no taxes with :mad:, am I saying I don't agree with you, or am I in total agreement with you and angry that Apple's not paying taxes?

Last edited:

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
There are some users who simply go around disagreeing, without ever contributing anything to any discussion. I've seen multiple people with 0 posts ever who hit disagree on posts constantly. It is odd behavior. When I see someone doing that to my posts, I just place them on ignore at that point. Then I don't have my notifications cluttered up with people like that.

Reactions: rhett7660

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
Disagree limits exist to prevent board stalking and revenge squads. They don't disagree with the content of the post, but rather they disagree with THE PERSON AS A PERSON. It's a huge difference, and that's why we have limits.

And I need to take @ProfessionalFan 's advice here and place them on ignore. Hopefully ignore doesn't have limits like other boards.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
There are some users who simply go around disagreeing, without ever contributing anything to any discussion. I've seen multiple people with 0 posts ever who hit disagree on posts constantly. It is odd behavior. When I see someone doing that to my posts, I just place them on ignore at that point. Then I don't have my notifications cluttered up with people like that.
I don’t think the disagree should be allowed until 100 posts and 3 months. Until then if one wants to disagree do it the old fashioned way….reply to a post.

Last edited:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I notice that Disagree is limited in how many you can do a day, but Like, Love, all that good stuff you can do as much as you want.

These limits have one purpose - suppress anyone who doesn't agree with everything Apple does no matter how rubbish. If you're going to suppress anyone who doesn't agree with Apple, just don't have reactions at all. Rely on actual textual responses. As it is now, it's just rubbish bias.

Fix your garbage, MR.

Sounds like you are from Reddit and have no issues with hitting that down vote button on everything. I mean, you could just scroll on by and let be.

Reactions: ixxx69
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.